You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-22 10:54:50

vfsoraki

Sometimes, USB devices are not working after kernel update

I have seen this before, but I just confirmed it.

It always happens if there is a kernel update, but not necessarily after every kernel update. I think it has to do with USB drivers or something being updated in the kernel, and suddenly they won't work in my current kernel.

By they won't work, I mean they show up in `lsusb` output, but they don't work. USB mouse doesn't move the cursor, USB flash drive and USB HDD doesn't show up in Thunar.

But, if a USB device is already connected, it continues to work. If I replug it, bang, won't work until reboot.

It solves after a reboot but, as you may have guessed, "reboot bad, uptime good".

I have searched for such issues using "USB kernel update" and such keywords, but I couldn't find any relevant topic.

I have latest kernel (as of this date), and I always update my system once in a couple of days.

I am using the default kernel.

EDIT: I have a laptop, Lenovo ThinkPad E560 if it helps.

Last edited by vfsoraki (2020-09-22 11:06:06)

#2 2020-09-22 11:45:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Sometimes, USB devices are not working after kernel update

Yes that's normal and expected behaviour and isn't inherently related to the USB drivers.

What happens on a kernel update is that the new kernel overrides the old kernel and replaces all modules in the process. If you are in a situation where your current running old kernel needs a new module loaded (... like the usb-storage module for drives) it won't be able to load said module. There are various ways around this, like planning/ignoring kernel updates until you can make time for a reboot, installing hooks to preserve and relevantly delete old modules during runtime/after having switched respectively or preloading likely to be needed modules before you need them like usb-storage and usb-hid or so)

See this recent thread for the most recent rehash of this same question and a few proposed solutions: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259192

Last edited by V1del (2020-09-22 11:48:06)

#3 2020-09-22 14:06:18

vfsoraki

Re: Sometimes, USB devices are not working after kernel update

I see, thanks.

The most reliable solution is to watch for kernel updates, and update/reboot when there is an opportunity.

Board footer