You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-25 12:12:02

CapSel

HDMI screen black

My laptop is AMD Ryzen 7 CPU with NVIDIA 1060Ti Max-Q.

I have plain (not modified) configuration of Xorg.
- Wide Screen monitor connected via HDMI cable (cable is working on another, older laptop)
- I can hear sound from monitor speakers
- Monitor notification about not optimal resolution shows only when I select other then "max" resolution
- glxinfo shows amdgpu, prime-run glxinfo shows nvidia

It seems that nvidia manages HDMI monitor but Xorg does not show anything there.

I've found that adding "PrimaryGPU" to Xorg/nvidia helped people with older drivers. In my case the effect is ... strange:
- there are 2 mouse cursors - one is controllable, the other stays at center of laptop's screen
- glxinfo shows nvidia card

What can I do to ... run like on my old laptop?

#2 2020-09-26 14:34:26

G3ro

Re: HDMI screen black

I've found that adding "PrimaryGPU" to Xorg/nvidia helped people with older drivers. In my case the effect is ... strange:
- there are 2 mouse cursors - one is controllable, the other stays at center of laptop's screen
- glxinfo shows nvidia card

So everything is working, except the two mouse cursors?
Very strange.

Interestingly someone suggested disabling secure boot.
https://askubuntu.com/a/1244268

Also what does "xrandr" say?

Could you disable the internal graphics card in BIOS? (Don't know if thats possible, was possible years ago on an old laptop of mine)

#3 2020-09-26 21:57:16

Batou

After upgrading this morning, I've noticed that when I wake my computer from sleep, HDMI is not connecting. Similar setup as you... Nvidia card.

My """"solution"""" was to plug and unplug the HDMI cable after the wake.

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#4 2020-09-27 11:09:21

CapSel

Thank you for your answers.

I kind of half solved it. To remove that second cursor I had to disable wayland in /etc/gdm/custom.conf (there is an option commented out). Together with "PrimaryGPU" this allowed nvidia-only GPU to be used.

So the only changes to config files I have in this configuration is a file from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf copied into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with added line "PrimaryGPU":

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "PrimaryGPU"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

and in /etc/gdm/custom.conf uncommented the line "WaylandEnable":

# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
# Uncomment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
WaylandEnable=false

[security]

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[debug]
# Uncomment the line below to turn on debugging
#Enable=true

... since I'm using Gnome 3 with gdm.

xrandr correctly shows all resolutions (EDID detected), as long as "server layout" does not have "AllowNVIDIAGPUScreens" set to "false". It seems that HDMI is connected to nvidia and it can't be used with amdgpu.

I really wanted to use amdgpu for everything and nvidia just for acceleration. amdgpu card alone is faster than nvidia gpu on my previous laptop. That's the second part of "half solved".

Batou:
I do not have problem with suspend/resume. Have you tried switching between text console and back again?

#5 2020-09-27 15:40:57

G3ro

@CapSel: Thank you for providing your solution for others to find smile.

I really wanted to use amdgpu for everything and nvidia just for acceleration. amdgpu card alone is faster than nvidia gpu on my previous laptop. That's the second part of "half solved".

The amd card is really faster?
Wouldn't have thought that, but regarding the point of energy saving (which is at least the first reason for me to use switching methods for gpu's): some time ago I read that nvidia cards now have a pretty good energy saving functionality, so even very powerful gpu's will run with moderate energy consumption if you are on the desktop or use less demanding applications.
So at least for this point it might not be "necessary" to use two gpu's (anymore).
Might be worth investigating.

Board footer