You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-26 23:55:43

netnoob44

issues with mimeapps/defaults

I can't set default mimetypes. Apps seem to decide it for me and change them, for instance.. i can't set any default browser.

No matter how I try, the changes just do not have any effect. I try to set chrome as my default browser, and yet it stays as seamonkey.

I try changing it by...

using the configuration utilities for it provided by
- gnome3
- kde
- mate

as well as just editing the miemapps list. it does not help, I had to uninstall wine because things wouldn't stop opening in freakin IE and notepad and I couldn't change it back.

Whatever was most recently installed seems to set itself as the default and there is no way around it.. although, even if I uninstall chrome and install it, html links just open in qonqurer or until i reinstall it.

How can i fix this broken behaviour? ive been usinng arch on and off for 2 years and ive always had it, it didnt matter to me because I always used minimalist WMs and launchers and rarely used mimetypes until now.

I dont want this to be the reason I switch..

#2 2020-09-27 01:12:28

merlock

Re: issues with mimeapps/defaults

Have you checked all of the the file locations listed here?

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

#3 2020-09-28 02:03:41

netnoob44

For the ones that exist, they have seamonkey.desktop set as my default browser.
When i edit them by hand, they just revert on their own.

#4 2020-09-28 07:40:46

seth

https://jlk.fjfi.cvut.cz/arch/manpages/ … settings.1

How do you determine "default browser", btw? ("Because I click a link in fringe file browser" could happily ignore any global defaults and resort to its own cascade)

Board footer