You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-27 19:36:57

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

I'm following this guide https://itsfoss.com/install-arch-linux/

Have a problem at this point:

     # grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=GRUB --efi-directory=/boot/efi
     Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
     Skipping unreadable variable Boot0000: Interrupted system call
     Could not prepare Boot variable: Interrupted system call
     grub-install: error efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error
     
The journal shows this error (among others)

     `Firmware bug Page fault caused by firmware at PA: 0xffffffetc.`

Offline

#2 2020-09-27 19:45:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,542
Website

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

stephenboston wrote:

Please don't. Use the official guide, all others are outdated and/or error-ridden.

stephenboston wrote:
     grub-install: error efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … le_support

Offline

#3 2020-09-27 20:01:47

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stephenboston wrote:

Please don't. Use the official guide, all others are outdated and/or error-ridden.

stephenboston wrote:
     grub-install: error efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … le_support


Looking through this that you've linked. Thanks.

Everything looks okay for EFI installation elements this article mentions,

BIOS has enabled EFI...

I don't mind repeating the installation process to this point. It's fairly straightforward, but I don't want to do that without understanding the problem here.

Offline

#4 2020-09-27 20:04:32

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stephenboston wrote:

Please don't. Use the official guide, all others are outdated and/or error-ridden.


Ah, okay.

I'll run through that guide instead.

Thanks

Offline

#5 2020-09-27 20:08:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,542
Website

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

stephenboston wrote:

Everything looks okay for EFI installation elements this article mentions

You can use the --removable switch for the grub-install(8) command to avoid creating a new NVRAM entry.

See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … _boot_path

Offline

#6 2020-09-27 20:30:13

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stephenboston wrote:

Please don't. Use the official guide, all others are outdated and/or error-ridden.

stephenboston wrote:
     grub-install: error efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … le_support


I suspect I may have a problem with the partitioning of the EFI partition but this guide does not have clear partitioning explanation. There are many unofficial treatments but I haven't found a clear step-by-step in official documentation. It is more about philosophy and principles -- which is great but it leaves a lot of room for error.

Offline

#7 2020-09-27 20:37:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,542
Website

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

stephenboston wrote:

I suspect I may have a problem with the partitioning of the EFI partition

The error message suggests otherwise.

stephenboston wrote:

this guide does not have clear partitioning explanation

How about https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … _the_disks? The trick is to click on the provided links in the text and read recursively.

Offline

#8 2020-09-27 21:19:01

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

Deleted

Last edited by stephenboston (2020-09-28 07:23:19)

Offline

#9 2020-09-28 17:31:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,542
Website

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

stephenboston wrote:

Deleted

It would be helpful for the community if you could try my suggestion to use the --removable switch for the grub-install(8) command rather than just abandon this thread and start a new one about systemd-boot.

As it happens systemd-boot automatically copies the EFI loader to $ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI so I think that will actually work even if your motherboard won't accept new NVRAM entries but this thread becomes useless without further feedback.

Offline

#10 2020-09-28 17:43:22

stephenboston
Member
Registered: 2020-09-27
Posts: 28

Re: grub-install fails with Input/Output Error

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stephenboston wrote:

Deleted

It would be helpful for the community if you could try my suggestion to use the --removable switch for the grub-install(8) command rather than just abandon this thread and start a new one about systemd-boot.

As it happens systemd-boot automatically copies the EFI loader to $ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI so I think that will actually work even if your motherboard won't accept new NVRAM entries but this thread becomes useless without further feedback.

Of course. I apologise. I did not try your suggestion because I re-partitioned the drive, re-ran the installation, and avoided the whole GRUB issue. I've always been curious about alternate bootloaders anyway and this was a good opportunity to explore.

But as you have seen, here I am having a problem with systemd-boot -- so I may replace the efi partition and retry the GRUB.

I'd like to see what I can do with the systemd-boot for now. It's not a popular choice, so it's likely I'm pretty much on my own with it so it's very probable I'll be back here fairly soon.

I'll be sure to reply to you if I do.

Thanks very much for your help so far.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB