You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-01 00:46:38

potuz

monitor doesn' t turn on, dpms after upgrade

I did a system upgrade today. After that the monitor does not turn on after it is blanked by dpms. It keeps "trying"  to wake up, in the sense that it is powered but as if the screen is blank it goes back again to a powerdown mode. I do not know how to diagnose this.
Among the packages that were upgraded today are nvidia-utils, nvidia-settings and nvidia, along with the kernel.

If I unplug the monitor (which is on hdmi) and plug it back then it lights up.

These are all the packages upgraded today

filesystem pango librsvg adwaita-icon-theme systemd-libs e2fsprogs perl openssl libldap at-spi2-core at-spi2-atk zeromq ca-certificates-mozilla libelf vulkan-icd-loader systemd nvidia-utils mesa bitcoin-qt brotli cddlib nspr nss json-glib srt dconf polkit gsettings-desktop-schemas libsoup chromium ldb smbclient cifs-utils jsoncpp libuv cmake imagemagick cups-filters dmenu elfutils enchant ghostscript gobject-introspection-runtime gobject-introspection gpm grafana python-pygments gtk-doc vim-runtime gvim haskell-hashable haskell-primitive haskell-scientific haskell-attoparsec haskell-base-compat-batteries haskell-data-fix haskell-dlist haskell-base-orphans haskell-distributive haskell-comonad haskell-bifunctors haskell-assoc haskell-these haskell-strict haskell-time-compat haskell-unordered-containers haskell-splitmix haskell-random haskell-uuid-types haskell-vector haskell-aeson haskell-aeson-pretty haskell-colour haskell-ansi-terminal haskell-hourglass haskell-memory haskell-asn1-types haskell-asn1-encoding haskell-asn1-parse haskell-async haskell-base64-bytestring haskell-blaze-markup haskell-blaze-html haskell-case-insensitive haskell-cmark-gfm haskell-commonmark haskell-emojis haskell-commonmark-extensions haskell-quickcheck haskell-pandoc-types haskell-commonmark-pandoc haskell-network haskell-socks haskell-cryptonite haskell-pem haskell-x509 haskell-x509-store haskell-x509-validation haskell-tls haskell-x509-system haskell-connection haskell-data-default-instances-dlist haskell-data-default haskell-doclayout haskell-hsyaml haskell-text-conversions haskell-doctemplates haskell-glob haskell-haddock-library haskell-hslua haskell-temporary haskell-hslua-module-system haskell-hslua-module-text haskell-network-uri haskell-http haskell-http-types haskell-streaming-commons haskell-http-client haskell-http-client-tls haskell-hxt haskell-ipynb haskell-jira-wiki-markup haskell-juicypixels haskell-skylighting-core haskell-skylighting haskell-split haskell-tagsoup haskell-texmath haskell-unicode-transforms haskell-zip-archive hcxdumptool hcxtools libde265 libheif libmwaw libsigc++ libspectre libva-utils libwpe libxnvctrl serd sord sratom lilv linux linux-headers nasm numactl nvidia nvidia-settings opencl-nvidia openmpi pacman-mirrorlist pandoc perl-alien-build perl-io-html perl-libwww perl-html-parser perl-xml-libxml picom prometheus python-cffi python-matplotlib python-pyqt5 python-pyzmq python-ruamel.yaml.clib python-zipp python2-cffi python2-cryptography qt5-webengine rankwidth shotcut sip sudo suil systemd-sysvcompat vlc vpnc vte-common wpebackend-fdo webkit2gtk whois wireshark-cli wireshark-qt yelp-xsl yelp yelp-tools youtube-dl zenity zoom

#2 2020-10-01 01:56:10

solskog

Re: monitor doesn' t turn on, dpms after upgrade

you can explicit disable DPMS using these methods and then test with a new setting by using a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … _Signaling

Last edited by solskog (2020-10-01 11:20:12)

#3 2020-10-01 10:55:17

potuz

The problem is that even with

$ xset -dpms
$ xset -q
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
  DPMS is Disabled

dpms is still triggered, this is something I could never fix, but never bothered me until today.

#4 2020-10-02 06:07:18

seth

Sure it's X11 dpms or maybe some screensaver (xscreensaver, xautolock, …) that triggers the DPMS?
The problem is likely that after losing the signal, the monitor cuts the HDMI connection and the re-establishing handshake fails (because HDMI is a crap protocol - sorry, but i need that…)
From your update history it's most likely the nvidia packages - there're multiple reports about issues w/ the 455 update - but you could also try the lts kernel.

#5 2020-10-02 09:58:33

potuz

Yeah, I'm guessing is the nvidia package for sure. I'll try downgrading, but that will require a reboot and I can't currently. My last updata has brought lots of instabilities to this system. I can't remember one update on arch that has brought up so many issues at once. And is not that I've spent a month without a `pacman -Syu`, I do this regularly.

Board footer