You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-01 07:56:58

origamisith

Xinit won't start i3, can't login to DE as non-root

I am trying to run X11+xinit+i3-gaps, but whenever I use the command

startx

, it throws an error about dbus.

Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
xinit: connection to X server lost

However, when I use lightdm instead, I have no such problem. Then, another problem arises. I can only log in as root. Otherwise, it kicks me out right after trying to log in as another user. I have tried reinstalling X11, i3, and using TWM instead to no avail.

Last edited by origamisith (2020-10-01 08:12:54)

#2 2020-10-01 08:59:28

origamisith

Re: Xinit won't start i3, can't login to DE as non-root

Actually, forget the first part. My issue was that the .xinitrc file did not include the simple line "i3". However, even with this working  I still cannot use i3 unless I use the root login. When attempting to log in as a non-root user with xinit, I can reach the initial i3 screen. I watch the mouse load for a couple of minutes. I can move the mouse around, but that is it. Another problem: changes to my i3 config file (such as default programs) never take effect

#3 2020-10-01 10:12:51

origamisith

Update: in .xinitrc file, I used the -c option to specify my config file. My config file works like magic. The reason I thought logging in as a non-root user left me frozen was because, for some reason, although I specifically made my super key to be the Win key in the i3 wizard, it was set to Alt. Without the super key, I was left with no way to interact with i3. Also, the loading for a couple of minutes was i3 trying to run the original setup wizard and status bar (which I didn't install) specified in the original, unchanged config file in /etc/i3/config. I believe that the i3 setup wizard did not apply my new config file for some reason. The only thing it did was apply my super key to be Win (only for the root user), but still ignored my $HOME/.config/i3/config file I was editing. In the end, I believe the culprit is the i3 setup process that somehow failed to properly configure my system.

Last edited by origamisith (2020-10-01 10:13:20)

#4 2020-10-01 10:47:37

seth

Please don't bump, but edit your posts unless somebody has replied.

As for your xinitrc & dbus issues, see the last link in my signature …
Also check the file permissions in your $HOME because what you describe holds a good chance you screwed them up and some files are now owned as root.
Also nb. that when you run X11 as root (what you should not do to begin with) your $HOME is now /root, so editions to eg. /home/origamisith/.config/i3/config will not be relevant at this point.

Most important take away: fix your xinitrc and DO NOT RUN X AS ROOT.

Board footer