You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-04 06:20:08

insciwetrust

[SOLVED] LightDM GTK Greeter Settings GUI starts after login

After logging in to my account using the LightDM login screen, I encounter this error:

No permissions to save configuration
It seems that you don't have permissions to write to file:
/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Try to run this program using "sudo" or "pkexec"

It shows up like this: https://imgur.com/a/RpYaR9e

When I click close, it opens up the settings GUI.

I don't think there really is a permission problem; I think it gives me that error simply because the PC is trying to open the GUI without giving it authorisation. The problem is, the GUI shouldn't pop up after login. Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

I use xfce4 as my DE btw.

Last edited by insciwetrust (2020-10-05 10:21:19)

No gods, no masters!

#2 2020-10-05 08:22:41

solskog

Re: [SOLVED] LightDM GTK Greeter Settings GUI starts after login

The LigthDM login screen is the lightdm-gtk-greeter itself. And the lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings is a GUI tool to configure /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf. You can instead configure it manually without GUI tool.
Remove lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings, and then relogin.

If you wants to keep the GUI tool, then pls check where in any files you start lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings by mistake.

Last edited by solskog (2020-10-05 08:41:58)

#3 2020-10-05 10:20:13

insciwetrust

solskog wrote:

The LigthDM login screen is the lightdm-gtk-greeter itself. And the lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings is a GUI tool to configure /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf. You can instead configure it manually without GUI tool.
Remove lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings, and then relogin.

If you wants to keep the GUI tool, then pls check where in any files you start lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings by mistake.

I didn't know that the GUI tool wasn't a requirement. I removed it. Thanks!

No gods, no masters!

#4 2020-12-08 14:42:33

pauloromeira
Website

Same issue here. After changing settings using lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings, it keeps popping up after login. Removing it would solve but it's not the best solution. Does anyone knows how to figure out where it's being triggered to start?

Last edited by pauloromeira (2020-12-08 14:46:07)

#5 2022-08-11 08:07:22

Hackjaku

Sorry for the necroposting but, have you checked if it has been stored in your saved session? If you rebooted with the settings window open, that may be the case. You can try deleting it from "Session and Startup" if you don't mind losing the stored session. That would also explain the "No permissions" error.

Board footer