You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-06 16:05:27

Nacho

Dual boot with windows 7

Im trying to install arch in dual boot with windows 7 in BIOS, and I dont know what should I do at the moment to made the partitions, cuz I already have two primary for windows, and I had understood that for linux i must have 4 partitions more, swap, boot. root and home. I can do one of those primary, and the other three as extended, but my dubt is which one of the linux partitions must be as primary.
Also I have an other question, at the arch installation guide is said that when u are installing it in BIOS u just need to have the swap and the root partition, and Im confused.
What should I do?

Thanks for helping out!

#2 2020-10-06 16:49:21

Pellaeon

Re: Dual boot with windows 7

The home partition isn't required, but it's often nice to have. Whether or not you need a boot partition depends on how exactly you intend on getting your system to boot.

Partitioning has plenty of info on partitioning schemes, and specifically on home and boot partitions.

I'd also strongly encourage you to read the article on dual booting and the article on your boot loader very carefully. How you set up your boot partition, and if you need one, depends on your boot loader and how you want to have it set up, there is no one answer for every situation.

Last edited by Pellaeon (2020-10-06 16:49:48)

#3 2020-10-07 13:02:54

Lone_Wolf

Re: Dual boot with windows 7

swapfiles work fine and don't require an additional partition. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer