You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-11 21:21:58

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Advice on naming a split package [SOLVED]

When one search the pkgbase in the AUR webinterface, no hits come up.  However, if one searches any of the 3 pkgname values, the corresponding split PKGBUILD is found.  I am wondering if there is a smarter way I can structure the PKGBUILD to avoid this.

pkgbase=kodi-standalone-service
pkgname=(kodi-standalone-x11-service kodi-standalone-gbm-service kodi-standalone-wayland-service)

The obvious way would to to simply provide all 3 service files in a non-split package.  The issue with that is I would like to provide the differential dependencies for each.  I suppose I can just list them in the optional depends array but that will undoubtedly lead to users complaining that parts do not work due to a lack of reading the pacman output.  Thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited by graysky (2020-10-12 11:16:13)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2020-10-11 21:27:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Advice on naming a split package [SOLVED]

Use provides to create a meta-package edit: virtual package.

I think this might be the correct term ... a "package" that doesn't actually exist itself, but is provided by various options (e.g., some of the jre/jdk stuff is an example).

Last edited by Trilby (2020-10-11 21:28:17)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-10-11 21:35:22

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@Trilby - So just add a provides=('kodi-standalone-service') to each sub package?

EDIT: tried that but the AUR still does not pick it up.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … f439d4e8b3

Last edited by graysky (2020-10-11 21:41:05)

#4 2020-10-11 22:46:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Odd - I thought it would / should.  However, a search for "kodi-standalone" does pick it up.  As would "kodi-standalone-service" if your search includes the pkgbase not just name.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-10-12 10:54:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Trilby wrote:

Odd - I thought it would / should.  However, a search for "kodi-standalone" does pick it up.  As would "kodi-standalone-service" if your search includes the pkgbase not just name.

You are correct that "kodi-standalone" returns the hit, but "kodi-standalone-service" (the pkgbase) does not.

EDIT: I'll just simplify it to a non-split package with the optdepds and be done with it.  Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by graysky (2020-10-12 11:15:58)

#6 2020-10-12 11:20:55

Lone_Wolf

Did some checking and it does look like you can search on pkgbase, but the results only show entries from the pkgname array.

Most split packages use pkgbase as first entry in pkgname , it seems likely nobody notices pkgbase itself is not shown.
This may be  a bug in the AUR interface .

All 3 of your sub-packages depend on polkit.
A (clumsy) workaround could be to  create a package_kodi-standalone-service function on which the sub-packages depend.

package_kodi-standalone-service() {
  depends=('polkit')
  # used to allow showing kodi-standalone-service in aur webinterface search results, see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259767
}

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer