You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-19 13:15:56

maxmin099

LTS kernel causes freezing every few seconds

Today I've installed a fresh Arch and to have a more stable experience, according to most of the source, I've installed the LTS kernel.
There were no problem until I started to use the GUI. For example, on firefox, it stucks once every few seconds. It freezes for about a second.

After installing the linux kernel, editing boot loader parameters and rebooting, problem disappeared.
Does that mean LTS kernel won't work for my laptop, so I have to use a bleeding edge kernel?

Last edited by maxmin099 (2020-10-19 13:19:09)

#2 2020-10-19 13:20:28

zebulon

Re: LTS kernel causes freezing every few seconds

Most people will use the standard Arch kernel; in general you would not have a bad experience with the latest one (5.9.1 as of writing), because it has also been tested before being transferred to the Core repository. On the contrary, laptops may need more recent kernels due to exotic hardware. So you should not worry about using the "linux" Arch package. You could even try the "linux-zen" kernel for a desktop optimised experience - although there is little difference to be honest.

#3 2020-10-19 13:23:52

maxmin099

To be honest, I've used the 'linux' kernel from the beginning of my Arch experience (about 2 months) and I didn't have any problem with it but I've realized that people strongly suggest to use LTS kernel for a more stable experience. Since I'm a newbie, I've decided to follow them.

#4 2020-10-19 13:36:41

zebulon

maxmin099 wrote:

To be honest, I've used the 'linux' kernel from the beginning of my Arch experience (about 2 months) and I didn't have any problem with it but I've realized that people strongly suggest to use LTS kernel for a more stable experience. Since I'm a newbie, I've decided to follow them.

Well, it will be as stable as the underlying hardware allows it. If you have no stability issue or good reasons to change, then better to use a more recent kernel - as it usually supports the latest hardware. For a laptop it may be an advantage. In addition to this, LTS means long term support, not necessarily a guarantee of stability. It is meant to reduce the risk associated with upgrading, since there will be no new features but only security updates for a certain number of years (6 to 10). It guarantees you that if your hardware runs correctly with the LTS version, then there is a quasi-guarantee that kernel updates will not break anything. A cutting edge kernel does not guarantee this, but may support more recent hardware, for instance. And with Arch it is easy to downgrade in case something goes wrong. Which in many years, never happened to me with the standard kernel!

Board footer