You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-26 23:53:10

Zod

ArchLinux and KDE Plasma

I got this old dell inspiron 1750 core 2 duo something or other that was running win10 home.

Windows had become so ponderous for this laptop that I was considering linux and a full DE. So I was just surfing and reading about KDE Plasma and opinions about which distro had the best KDE integration.

And like all these threads go, it was Kubuntu this and KDE neon that and I'm like OK. This isn't really going anywhere.

And then I was reading one and the guy said he should do Arch for one reason.

He(she?) said because of arojas maintaining plasma and I thought to myself, you know, s/he's right.
Then I remembered the threads on the forum where arojas is helping out with plasma problems. So I thought lets give it a go.

I got it all installed and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It looks great and it runs great and it's better integrated with Arch then I thought it would be.

Anyway, I don't remember where it was I saw that but I thought it was pretty cool that arojas has a good rep out there.

#2 2021-01-08 19:45:30

ArchChem

Re: ArchLinux and KDE Plasma

Arch generally works well with every desktop environment, no matter it is KDE or Gnome or any "tinier" solution. The simple reason is that Arch will give you the Vanilla versions of the environments and not a patched one like Ubuntu and many other distros are doing it.

#3 2021-02-15 10:23:06

wadk

Re: ArchLinux and KDE Plasma

ArchChem wrote:

Arch generally works well with every desktop environment, no matter it is KDE or Gnome or any "tinier" solution.

Deepin was pretty buggy for me, LXQt and LXDE/Xfce required too much setting up. Although, old laptop will benefit from either of these two. Here's a comparison of desktop environment performance from 2017 that I found useful:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … tops&num=1

Zod wrote:

So I was just surfing and reading about KDE Plasma and opinions about which distro had the best KDE integration.

Right now Plasma is running fine for me, but a word about Add-ins/Widgets. In my case latte-dock from AUR broke it in a way I had to reinstall the whole Arch. Why reinstall whole thing? Plasma creates some files into your system that pacman is not tracing, so if those are bugged you either trace them all or reinstall. And they are all over, I even tried making a new user but the bugginess remained. So be cautious about installing Add-ins, I guess.

I ended up doing
Install Arch (Arch wiki installation guide)
pacman -S xorg sddm plasma kde-applications
Selecting some kde-applications I needed out of the box
systemctl enable sddm

Zod wrote:

He(she?)

"They" is a lifesaver wink

Last edited by wadk (2021-02-15 10:50:07)

Board footer