You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-28 17:17:23

girardi.dev

T460s Kernel Panic when plugging external displays

I'm facing this issue regarding external monitors.
More specifically, a kernel panic occurs almost every time I plug one in, regardless of the actual cable I'm using (HDMI and miniDP, tried many different cables and TVs/displays).

This started happening right before I tested some PC monitors through HDMI. I've never connected any external display before that time. Both monitors seemed to receive and display the correct HDMI signal from my Lenovo Thinkpad T460s (1.50 BIOS, i7 model, Arch Linux). All the trouble started right after that, the same evening when I was setting up my desk and my monitors.

The issue does not seem to be associated with the kernel I'm using (I've tried both mainline and LTS one, no difference), nor the cable or the kind of video-output device I'm connecting to. I face this issue even if the external monitor is not connected to the wall. I've updated the BIOS, I checked everything trice.

Plugging an external monitor right before boot leads to an instant kernel panic. I'm sure it is indeed a kernel panic because I can clearly see the caps lock light blinking.
The last log message I can read before the general freeze is something related to the i915 kernel module (Intel video driver) warning that the DPLL 2 has not being locked, whatever it means.
The system happens to freeze even when I'm in a LiveUSB environment, regardless of the distribution.

This is a link to the patch regarding this error message

This issue happens 9.5 times out of 10, and the time I can plug something without any kernel panic it looks like everything got back to functioning properly and the connection to an external monitor works flawlessly every time, until I reboot.

Removing the xf86-video-intel package does not solve the problem.

Last edited by girardi.dev (2020-11-29 08:17:40)

Board footer