You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-17 20:15:00

derelict

konqueror font rendering issues [solved]

I am having difficulty viewing this forum because konqueror is not rendering the page as I believe it should. The font that I'm seeing is painful to my eyes. It is not the font I requested nor is it anti-aliased. I have tried several steps to correct this:

1) I have set font substitution in qtconfig.
2) I have enabled the accessibility stylesheet and configured it to always use DejaVu Sans.
3) I have set aliases in

/etc/fonts/local.conf

to remap Helvetica, Verdana, and Arial to san-serif.

Nothing I have done so far has helped. I have googled literally for days to find a solution and I have come up with nothing. My hope is that a resident Arch guru may know the answer to my dilemma. To anyone who may have an idea about how to correct this, please let me know. But please understand I do not intend on switching browsers. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just suffice to say that is not an option for me. I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone might be able to give me. Thank you in advance.

#2 2006-10-17 20:27:23

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: konqueror font rendering issues [solved]

Try disabling bitmap fonts by creating a symlink from /etc/fonts/avail.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf  to /etc/fonts/conf.d

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-10-17 20:55:18

Snarkout

There are a number of threads on making fonts look good in these forums, though I have to say that I've never been entirely happy with my fonts under arch.  I'm not a font-head by any means, either.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#4 2006-10-17 23:08:58

cascat

Try this:

Open Konqueror, go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > Fonts.  There you can set the fonts you want, their size and encoding.  I have a 19" LCD monitor and I use 12pt. for small font size and 14 pt. for medium size.  I use Deja Vu fonts throughout KDE and they look excellent set with anti-alias, full hinting and use RGB sub-pixel.

Hope this helps.

cascat

#5 2006-10-17 23:27:00

derelict

This worked:

disabling bitmap fonts by creating a symlink from /etc/fonts/avail.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf to /etc/fonts/conf.d

Why this isn't the default setup I'll never know. Thanks Lone_Wolf. I guess it did have to do with the fontconfig upgrade.

I found another way to solve this using a custom stylesheet (borrowed from firefox):

/*
 *personal .css file for konqueror
 */

* {
  font-family: inherit !important ;
  font-size: inherit ;
  color: inherit ;
}

You have to restart konqueror for the changes to take effect. I neglected to do this the first time I tried it. The only problem with this approach is that it forces konqueror to use the default font from the settings dialogue for all fonts on every page. That could get boring after a while.

#6 2006-10-17 23:32:35

derelict

cascat wrote:

Try this:

Open Konqueror, go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > Fonts.  There you can set the fonts you want, their size and encoding.  I have a 19" LCD monitor and I use 12pt. for small font size and 14 pt. for medium size.  I use Deja Vu fonts throughout KDE and they look excellent set with anti-alias, full hinting and use RGB sub-pixel.

Hope this helps.

cascat

I agree the DejaVu fonts are great. For a Serif font I also recommend trying Gentium. Incidently, my setup is the same only with a 17'' LCD.

Board footer