You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-07 13:53:20

jared

[SOLVED] hamster-time-tracker won't start

Hi, after a recent update, I have a problem with my installation of Hamster - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … e-tracker/.

When calling it from Gnome GUI, simply nothing happens. Also dmesg shows nothing Hamster related.
So I started looking around:

$ which hamster-time-tracker
which: no hamster-time-tracker in (/home/user/...)

Weird, I tried (re)installing...

$ pacman -S hamster-time-tracker
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) hamster-time-tracker-3.0.2-2

Total Installed Size:  2.36 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                 [########################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                               [########################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                    [########################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                              [########################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
hamster-time-tracker: /usr/bin/hamster exists in filesystem (owned by hamster-time-tracker2)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

According to the Pacman Wiki - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pa … )%22_error - I followed the instructions, inspecting if another package owns the file /usr/bin/hamster:

$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/hamster 
/usr/bin/hamster is owned by hamster-time-tracker2 2.2.2-4

I have several entries in the Hamster DB which I need for invoicing. That's why I am hesitant of doing a full uninstall and reinstalling.
I've looked up several forums, GitHub issues, etc. but I seem to be the only one with that problem.
Any suggestions what I could do?
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by jared (2020-12-07 17:37:26)

#2 2020-12-07 16:38:03

jared

Re: [SOLVED] hamster-time-tracker won't start

#3 2020-12-07 16:51:55

Scimmia
Fellow

And bug closed. Figure out what hamster-time-tracker2 is and you'll be able to figure out the problem.

#4 2020-12-07 17:37:05

jared

I went back to my AUR archives. Damn, it's really there.

Didn't see that the 2 in hamster-time-tracker2 is not part of the version number but of the package name.

Sorry, feeling stupid, yet learned something.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by jared (2020-12-07 17:40:36)

Board footer