You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-19 06:42:48

tuxman

installed package size and more

first question,
how do I know the final space required by a package and its dependencies  on the hard disk after the install?
cos pacman gives an info about the size of the download but thats not necessary the final space required by the installation.
second, is there a way to make pacman install a package and its dependencies into a directory, for instance to check the structure of a certain package (sort of what slackware does)

thanks

tuxman

#2 2006-10-19 07:22:15

twiistedkaos

Re: installed package size and more

is there a way to make pacman install a package and its dependencies into a directory, for instance to check the structure of a certain package (sort of what slackware does)

I believe you can do that like this:

pacman -S gnome --root <directory>

As for the other information I'm not sure if pacman can or cannot do these.

#3 2006-10-19 07:31:58

Romashka
Forum Fellow

tuxman wrote:

how do I know the final space required by a package and its dependencies  on the hard disk after the install?

This feature is in Pacman 3, which is not yet released in Arch repos.

tuxman wrote:

cos pacman gives an info about the size of the download but thats not necessary the final space required by the installation.

Wrong. Pacman gives you info about the size of packages to be installed/upgraded, not the size of packages to be downloaded.
There is a feature request about this in bugtracker, but I don't know if it is already in Pacman 3.

to live is to die

#4 2006-10-19 08:39:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

tuxman wrote:

to check the structure of a certain package

There's a file list for every package available at www.archlinux.org/packages - or do you need more detail than that?

#5 2006-10-19 08:47:10

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Maybe he wants the pacman -Sl to do the same as pacman -Ql but without downloading the package?

to live is to die

#6 2006-10-19 16:07:20

tuxman

thanks everybody for the feedback.
my purpose is to analize the way a package would look into the filesystem once installed, where goes this and that file, in order to create modules for a live CD.
This is expecially useful for big stuff like KDE or Xorg.
I have a doubt about the info given by pacman at download time yet.
For instance, if I make pacman -Su it will download a bunch of packages, lets say 100MB but they will overwrite the existing ones, so the final space claimed on the hard disk will be less than 100MB
Or maybe I got it wrong eheheh

thanks

tuxman

#7 2006-10-19 18:35:31

Romashka
Forum Fellow

tuxman wrote:

thanks everybody for the feedback.
my purpose is to analize the way a package would look into the filesystem once installed, where goes this and that file, in order to create modules for a live CD.

You need pacman -Sl support which is not implemented yet.

tuxman wrote:

I have a doubt about the info given by pacman at download time yet.

Currently Pacman ouptuts only the total size of packages to be installed/upgraded.This will be changed in the future versions.

tuxman wrote:

For instance, if I make pacman -Su it will download a bunch of packages, lets say 100MB but they will overwrite the existing ones, so the final space claimed on the hard disk will be less than 100MB
Or maybe I got it wrong eheheh

Hmm... this is more complicated, I doubt this will be implemented soon (if ever).
IMHO it will be enough (and easy to implement) only total size of all packages to be downloaded.
Calculating the resulting size of packages to be installed minus packages to be removed (replaced) is more complex.

to live is to die

#8 2006-10-19 21:01:12

tuxman

Yeah I agree many of these features wont really be an issue.
Anyhow, for those interested, I went to a test installing xorg, kdebase and kde utils into a directory.
#pacman -S xorg kdebase kdeutils --root /test
Of course it takes a while but then...
It nicely installed all the packages into their corresponding subdirectories giving a nice snapshot of what it would be in a real install.
this way I could check the structure and total size in detail (of course after removing the 175MB of cached packages LOL).

That's what I love about Arch, no matter what you need there is a way to do it.
Cool.

thanks

tuxman

Board footer