You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-17 17:57:13

bernd_b

dcaenc pulse plugin needs tsched=0

For the sake of my good old headhone amplifier, I enjoy using the dcaenc plugin with pulseaudio. But for some times - I don't know for how long - I occasionally experience audio-drop outs.

I tried downgrading pulseaudio, installing a real time kernel (does pulse really use it and how can I check this?) and changing the resampler-method. The best I could assume is, that the higher the CPU Load of the chosen resampler, the more often the drop outs occur. Changing the playback to normal stereo output seems to lead to no drop outs in any case.

In my desperation I added tsched=0 to this line in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

This is supposed to deactivate time based scheduling in favor for the old method of frame based scheduling - as far as I understood.

This seems to let the drop outs vanish. Is this plausible? Could there be other solutions?

Last edited by bernd_b (2020-12-17 17:57:43)

#2 2020-12-21 10:07:27

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: dcaenc pulse plugin needs tsched=0

This is possible, tsched relies on new alsa-lib developments, if dcaenc is as dead and unmaintained as I'm reading everywhere it's very likely it was only developed when interrupts where the way to calculate this.

#3 2020-12-21 14:03:28

bernd_b

Re: dcaenc pulse plugin needs tsched=0

Thank you very much for your response. So I better start counting the days this solution will last to work.

Board footer