You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-19 15:43:11

Oin

amilo laptop won't start up and also freezes

hi

I've bought a second hand amilo laptop (pentium IV 2.4 Ghz, 2x256ddram, radeon 9000 mobility, 40gb hitachi hdd). And after a week or so I've started experiencing these strange problems.

First of all, my laptop sometimes doesn't start. When I press the power button, I can hear everything right (fan starting, hdd turning and everything), but just when the monitor is supposed to light up and display the initial tables with my hardware, nothing happens, the monitor remains dead and instead i hear a high pitched noise coming from somewhere inside my laptop. The noise isn't loud, it's almost inaudible.

Second of all, my laptop sometimes freezes when i'm doing normal things on it, it sometimes happens after just 1 minute after i've turned it on, and sometimes after an hour. When it freezes, there's nothing i can do to stop it(ctrl+alt+del won't work) the only thing left is to press the power button. Also, the moment it freezes i begin hearing that high pitched noise again. I once observed as i was listening to some mp3s from a cd, that when everything froze and nothing could be done, the music was still playing, and i continued to listen to the tune until it was over. (I only experience this issue with *nix OSes (tried, Arch, ubuntu, nexenta), it doesn't get frozen when in windows)

thanks

In Linux there are no secrets!

#2 2006-10-19 17:53:50

debauchery1st

Re: amilo laptop won't start up and also freezes

Oin wrote:

hi

I've bought a second hand amilo laptop (pentium IV 2.4 Ghz, 2x256ddram, radeon 9000 mobility, 40gb hitachi hdd).

ok, we've got some specs, now what is the model number (ie. Amilo D k7666)...

also, do you have "suspend" enabled?

this "high pitched noise" you are talking about, I find it is commonplace for some older electronics. My cambridge soundworks 5-piece computer speaker system (with subwoofer) makes that noise and it's so disturbing that I need to unplug it at night. The speaker system is about 5 years old.

it may be a power-management issue, it may be a problem with the speakers in the laptop...

lets have the model number, and the age of the laptop to give to CSI.

Board footer