You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-20 03:45:27

Tatey
Website

Pacman Error: No such file or directory, please help

This morning I decided to make a package using the ABS and I noticed this error when executing Pacman.

error: /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1/desc: No such file or directory

Consequently, the custom package (Gaim Beta 4) kept complaining about dependancies, when I knew those packages were installed in the system. I did some searching around and it appeared that my local database may be currupted? At any rate, one of the posters suggested to forcefully reinstall the offending package, which I did. Upon doing so, it appeared that I had found a solution. However, after installing another package, the error appeared again. Repeating the process resolves the error, but only once before it occurs again.

Upon further searching, another poster suggested that I should remove the offending directory, and then reinstall the package. When I attempt to remove the directory, I get a kernel panic and my entire system freezes. Since there is so much output, I've take a photo of the error (X just freezes).

rimg0243we5.th.jpg

I apologise for the dodgy flash, but you can see the output. If anyone could offer any suggestions/assistance, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tate

EDIT: If it helps, I'm using the latest 2.6.18 stock Arch Kernel and LVM2 with ReiserFS.

Check out my website, http://tatey.com

#2 2006-10-20 10:16:44

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacman Error: No such file or directory, please help

have you done a filesystem check?

#3 2006-10-20 10:43:01

shbang

I had the exact same problem (with a different package) a couple of days ago.  The indicated file was actually missing.  The problem corrected itself - I think the repo was out of sync or something.

#4 2006-10-22 13:51:40

Tatey
Website

I've performed a filesystem check and it reported "Filesystem is clean". In addition, I tried grabbing the package from another mirror to see if that would rectify the issue. Unfortunately, none of these worked.

#5 2006-10-22 14:01:46

Pierre
Developer
Website

Perhaps you want to try the "noapic"-kernel-parameter..or try compiling kernel without smp.

#6 2006-10-22 16:07:05

shbang

try this:

cd /var/lib/pacman/local

mv pacman-2.9.8-1 pacman-2.9.8-1.old

pacman -Sf pacman

verify /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1 folder exists

verify that following files are in folder:  depends, desc, files, install

verify pacman -Syu works

rm -rf /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1.old

#7 2006-10-23 00:30:41

Tatey
Website

I tried the nopaic option, and it doesn't seem to have any affect. If I try to do anything with that directory, the system will hang (That is, ls, mv). I'm really stumped? Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Board footer