You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 19:48:27

kocotian
Website

pacgtk - a GUI wrapper for pacman dedicated to people scared by TTY

Hi all!
In last day I installed Arch with KDE for my friend - she used Windows 10 on pretty old laptop, so Arch really speeded up this computer.
Unfortunately, I could not find small, simple and relatively fast GUI wrapper for pacman, so I wrote this little script:

https://git.kocotian.pl/pacgtk

Script needs yad (in repo) and st (any build, can be replaced with other terminal - first section of script) to work properly.

About script
The script is wrote in POSIX-compliant shell and contains only 90 lines when I write this post.
When I write this post it can search repositories for program (pacman -Ss) and make selectable list from it, you can also select updating system (-Syu) or downloading fresh package list (-Sy) on start.

For who?
In my opinion Arch is good system for everyone - if you are more experienced person and you are installing Arch for less experienced people or people without any experience in using Linux (like me), you can install this script. Arch isn't really that scary, and beginners starting with Arch for beginning (in my point of view) would preffer simple, clickable program installing with GUI instead of memorizing all pacman -S, -Sy, -Syu, -Ss, going to arch website to find packages, etc.

Why?
I could not find good GUI pacman wrapper and KDE "App Store" from my experience worked badly and had problems with pacman which is great tool.

More features & contribution
Removing programs and other features is planned, also more languages will be added, so I invite to contributing and sending patches to my email address.
Unfortunately, I use git in basic level like commits, pushing, pulling, cloning, etc, so for now I can't make pull requests on my git, so every contribution must be sent to my mail If you want (I will be really happy when someone will contribute this big_smile).

Last edited by kocotian (2021-01-05 20:10:50)

#2 2021-01-05 19:53:14

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: pacgtk - a GUI wrapper for pacman dedicated to people scared by TTY

I'd consider some other name - there's already two other pacboys.

downloading fresh package list (-Sy) on start.

Obligatory reminder of what all pacman wrappers get wrong: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nsupported

This one runs an unattended partial upgrade at that. https://git.kocotian.pl/pacboy/file/pacboy.html#l26

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2021-01-05 19:58:22

icar

Consider

checkupdates

from community/pacman-contrib for checking available updates without updating your local database.

#4 2021-01-05 20:04:19

kocotian
Website

Thanks for responses, I changed name to pacgtk, I will remove partial upgrades and consider

checkupdates

, code will be pushed soon

#5 2021-01-05 20:41:19

kocotian
Website

Partial upgrades removed, and prepared for checkupdates, I tried to do it today, but I think that I will do a simple menu where user can choose to updade system, check available updates, etc, tomorrow
Name change and and partial upgrades removal pushed.

#6 2021-01-06 19:30:08

kocotian
Website

Okay, version 2.0 is released with a few changes including new menu, checking updates and removing programs (it is also more bloated, but bloat can be reduced in next version ;D).
I will also try to make AUR package, this will be my first try big_smile

Board footer