You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-21 05:53:55

ravisghosh
Website

XFCE4-SQUARE BOXES INSTEAD OF FONTS-SOLVED

Hi Friends,

After a lot of difficulties installing Arch along with X, I finally was able to xfce4 run, but again hit a roadblock. Now, I'm unable to read anything on the menu, titlebar, or setting tools or anything related to xfce although I'm able to read things on webpages, address bar of Opera, menus of other applications like xterm, jacman. Even file manager of xfce too does not display fonts like in menu, folder/file names, etc.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

PS: There was a problem loading X as I was getting "error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" which I solved by "ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0"

#2 2006-10-21 07:07:54

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: XFCE4-SQUARE BOXES INSTEAD OF FONTS-SOLVED

ravisghosh wrote:

PS: There was a problem loading X as I was getting "error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" which I solved by "ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0"

You should update your system if you haven't done it  yet (pacman -Syu). You can get into problems by symlinking libraries like that.

#3 2006-10-22 04:54:55

ravisghosh
Website

Even after doing pacman -Syu and removing the symlink, i'm getting the same boxes instead of fonts in xfce though now, i can load X without symlink.

When I do ctrl+alt+backspace, I some messages and the last line says

Waiting for X server to shut down. FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

I tried to install icewm and check if the same problem is there and when i did "icewm," I got

Icewm: Warning: Locale not supported by C library. Falling back to C locale.
Icewm: Using /root/.icewm for private configuration file.
Icewm: Cannot open display: <none>. X must be running and $DISPLAY set

When using "quit" fron XFCE menu (i can see the icon but cannot read), I'm logged out and I get the following message:

(XFCE4-sestion:2729): Pango-CRITICAL **:  _Pango_cairo_font_map_get_renderer: assertion "PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)" failed.

#4 2006-10-22 11:32:18

detto

Did you configure your locale(s) ? (see archlinux wiki for locale-gen)
If it still doesnt work, try using another mirror, remove expat package from "/var/cache/pacman/pkg/" and reinstall it with "pacman -Syy expat".

cheers,
deTTo

#5 2006-10-22 11:37:43

stavrosg
Website

For me, it was solved by reinstalling pango (pacman -S pango) though.

#6 2006-10-22 13:38:01

ravisghosh
Website

Solved by doing "Pacman -S pango"

Thanks stavrosg

Board footer