You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-20 10:46:56

lgp171188

RTX 3090 display corruption on the second monitor on cold boot

I have an RTX 3090 GPU installed on my desktop running Plasma on an up-to-date Arch installation. I have a dual monitor setup with a primary 4K monitor and a secondary 1080p monitor to its left. I use xrandr (via a custom SDDM Xsetup script) to scale the secondary monitor to make everything on it look properly sized.

Ever since I installed the new GPU, the second display appears glitchy and corrupt on every cold boot. A restart fixes it. When I boot into Windows first and then to Arch this doesn't happen. Also restarting SDDM kinda fixes the issue but the scaling changes configured via `xrand` don't work. These appear to confirm that this is not a hardware issue. This didn't happen with the GTX 970 GPU that I was using before on the same setup. So this might be a driver issue.

Is this a known issue and are there any fixes/workarounds?

Since I am using the proprietary driver, I am not sure if there is a proper channel to report this issue.

Thanks!

#2 2021-02-02 17:58:48

lgp171188

Re: RTX 3090 display corruption on the second monitor on cold boot

This issue goes away when switching to a tty say Ctrl+Alt+F2 and switching back to SDDM. So this looks similar to one of the issues where someone had mentioned that SDDM was loading before the graphics driver could be initialized?

Any comments/suggestions/thoughts?

#3 2021-02-02 18:17:06

Slithery
Administrator

Re: RTX 3090 display corruption on the second monitor on cold boot

Set up early KMS.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer