You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-29 08:51:52

Basti.G

[SOLVED] Firefox and (Google?) HTTP/2 not working

Hi,

I found there are massive and unexpected delays on most Google sites when I'm using Firefox. I also cannot log in to any Google service. When trying to do so the webpage would stop loading or the input forms would simply not respond. It seems a bit intermittent because, If I make it that far, the TFA will finally make the login process hang. I was able to confirm my identity in that case via the popup on my mobile, but the website apparently never got notified. Even without logging in I find that the, e.g. the Youtube Start page may just stop in the middle of loading and leave the page unresponsive. If I manage to open a video it may load for a few seconds before stopping again (not related to bandwidth, the playback won't ever recover).

Starting in safe mode, clearing cache, cookies and profiles, fresh install: nothing helped
Grasping at straws I changed about:config / network.http.spdy.enabled.http2 to false - and everything started to work! Less efficient but at least in a way that the browser is usable.

At the same time Chromium is installed, too, and it's working perfectly, even with HTTP/2 enabled. Are there any clues what I could be doing wrong on my system? Is it a known bug? I didn't find anything related to the more recent versions neither upstream nor on the great wide web.

My Firefox is extra/firefox 85.0-1, fresh installation with no addons or plugins installed.
Also note that this also seems to be at least partially specific to Google's services, I have absolutely no issues e.g. accessing my NextCloud instance running on HTTP/2 with Nginx (admittedly, I'm not using fancy techniques like h2 server push there).

Thanks

Last edited by Basti.G (2021-02-06 19:23:29)

#2 2021-02-06 19:23:14

Basti.G

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox and (Google?) HTTP/2 not working

It seems I finally found the culprit... weird as this seems the issue is related to bad IPv6 path MTU on my router.
Well, I went and filed a ticket with the vendor :-)

Board footer