You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-30 20:49:38

djipey

[solved] Headphones: only right side is working

Hello,

I noticed today that, for any set of headphone I plug into my computer, only the right side of the headphone is working. All the headphones I tried work on other devices (like my phone). My headphones were working fine a week ago (that's the last time I plugged headphones into my laptop).

I haven't changed any setting at all regarding the sound since last week.

I suspected it had something to do with pulseaudio, so I downgraded the following packages: "libpulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-bluetooth". I tried the two last versions of these packages, but it didn't solve my issue. I also restored the config dir ".config/pulse/pulse" from a time when I know my sound was working right. The problem persists.

I opened alsamixer, and left and right for heaphones and speaker seem balanced.

I have no idea why I'm having this issue. Could you please give me a hand, I can't figure out how to debug this issue.

Kind regards.

Last edited by djipey (2021-01-31 11:21:10)

#2 2021-01-30 23:38:34

nd925a

Re: [solved] Headphones: only right side is working

Not sure if I can help, but some troubleshooting I can think of:

Have you checked to make sure nothing got into the port/have you ever accidentally ripped your headphones out of the port?
Can you verify that it is only the right side audio being played or if it's mixed or left audio(into the right earpiece)?
Do you have access to an external usb headphone jack?
Does your laptop have hdmi with audio out? Does it have the same problem?

Also post configs and output from this

[EDIT] You'll need to install alsa-utils package to use the script in the link

Last edited by nd925a (2021-01-30 23:40:07)

#3 2021-01-31 11:20:52

djipey

Re: [solved] Headphones: only right side is working

It turns out it's not software related. I think the jack port of my laptop is damaged. After a bit of cleaning, I regained partial sound on the left side of the headphone. It's less loud than the right sound, but by tweaking the balance 100:75, I get a decent sound. Not great though...

Closing.

Board footer