You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-23 16:34:03

mentallysilent

Trying to build a repo but PKGBUILD files are missing

Hello,

I recently updated Gimmick to kernel 2.6.18 on my laptop and stuff is not working well. I'm trying to build a repo from the packages on my desktop (Gimmick kernel 2.6.17) computer so that I can install them on the lappy. Particularly I want kernel 2.6.17 and the older version ATI drivers that are compatible with it. The problem is I cannot manage to find the PKGBUILD files on my desktop computer that are apparently needed for building an ABS tree. Any idea where they might be or how I can retrieve them? Or rather a better question would be how I can build a repo from packages I have under /var/cache/pacman/pkg without PKGBUILD files.

Thank you.

#2 2006-10-23 17:17:24

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Trying to build a repo but PKGBUILD files are missing

First, do you really need a repo? You can copy the relevent packages and run pacman -U to install them all.

Second, you can get the *latest* PKGBUILDs using the 'abs' command. This will install the works to /var/abs/. But these won't get the ones you want. You'd have to get the older PKGBUILD's from Arch's CVS interface on the web.

Dusty

#3 2006-10-23 18:30:18

mentallysilent

Thanks for the reply dusty,

I tried pacman -U but I got destroyed by unresolved dependancy complaints, even though I'm sure the dependancies are all there (located under /var/cache/pacman/pkg) , so I thought maybe I need to build a repo in order for pacman to be able to take care of dependancies.

Btw I go to York University too  big_smile computer engineering

#4 2006-10-23 18:50:24

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't think your dependency problem will be solved by a repo... at least, not that it would be the easiest way. The packages should be installed already, all you're doing is rolling back a few packages, right?

mentallysilent wrote:

Btw I go to York University too  big_smile computer engineering

Cool, didn't know there were other archers on campus. I may have TA'd you. smile

Dusty

#5 2006-10-24 05:05:13

gradgrind

I have written a python script which will generate a repo db without PKGBUILDs, just from the packages (gen_repo). It's somewhere on the wiki, I think, otherwise you can get it from the website below.

#6 2006-10-25 02:33:24

mentallysilent

Yup I have seen that script. Thanks alot.

Board footer