You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-07 12:50:33

Vofan

[SOLVED] Ibus has stopped working in specific apps

Those specific apps are firefox, st, discord. It still works in anki. Before everything worked fine. I have tried downgrading various packages to no avail, as well as pulling from a snapshot of the 25th of January. I regularly update at least once a week, usually more often.

I'm unsure what I can provide that would be of help. I do have ibus launch with my x startup scripts; however, that has been kind of botched for a while (not sure why tbh), and I usually run killall ibus-daemon && ibus-daemon -drx manually when I login via an alias; this previously worked to fix all issues. I can switch keyboards, but when I go to input, nothing happens except the deletion of a preceding character.

I have in my /etc/profile:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/ibus-daemon -drx

Thanks for any advice, let me know what further info I can provide that would be of use. Maybe it is related to the glibc issues?

Last edited by Vofan (2021-02-16 09:55:03)

#2 2021-02-09 18:10:17

Vofan

Re: [SOLVED] Ibus has stopped working in specific apps

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

Fixes issues with firefox and discord. Originally that xim was actually in place to fix an issue with browsers, so I am unsure the cause for the switcharound.

However, emacs, st still do not work. I did try changing the XMODIFERS to =ibus and =@im without luck.

#3 2021-02-09 18:31:24

Vofan

To clarify, this doesn't work either:

export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

Curiously, if I set

export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus" 
export XIM=ibus export XIM_ARGS="-d" 
export XIM_PROGRAM_SETS_ITSELF_AS_DAEMON=yes 
export DEPENDS="ibus" 
export XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/ibus-daemon 
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus 

(being sure to use sudo!) and log out and log in, /etc/profile resets to whatever was previously set. (ie. unlike the section above, where both GTK_IM and QT_IM are ibus, it will set xim.

Last edited by Vofan (2021-02-09 18:32:02)

#4 2021-02-16 09:52:23

Vofan

Solved the issue. My locales had been overwritten, presumably by the recent glibc updates. I noticed because font support had broken in some applications written in C. Adding en_GB.UTF-8 fixed the issues with Latin scripts and with input in non-C apps, adding ja_JP.UTF-8 fixed the issues with CJK scripts.

After that, this is my /etc/profile:

export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XIM_PROGRAM=/urs/bin/ibus-daemon -drx

Some problems that didn't exist before exist now. First, ibus-mozc-ut decided to stop working for some reason. I had to fallback on ibus-mozc. Not the biggest issue, though I've already had to add quite a few lexical items to the IME's dictionary. Second, in some programs, or rather in certain contexts in certain programs, input can prove a bit... off. For example, in typing ð, \ð will appear, sometimes characters will be highlighted, sometimes backspaces will not work, sometimes writing will overwrite the following character. That specific behaviour happens in places like the google search bar and discord's messaging space. Here, on the arch forums, I can't actually type my preferred Latin based input method, only the default, 日本語, aɪː'pʰiːeiː, فارسی, русский, etc., but writing, say with my preferred input, ǫ, å, ä, ö, ß, æ, ş doesn't work. There are also issues with backspace; sometimes characters will delete, sometimes it will skip over one, highlighting the one it skipped over, then deleting the one preceding that if pressed again (but leaving the skipped over character there), etc. I will try setting the QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE variables differently, but I think I tried this yesterday without luck. While one could regard it as an issue of the given keyboard layout/whatever is sub-IME (I don't know the terminology) I don't think this is the case given I used to be able to type all manner of Latin characters in these places without hassle. I will try to reinstall/reconfigure.

In any case, the original issue is solved.

Last edited by Vofan (2021-02-16 09:58:37)

Board footer