You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-10 10:56:54

pumaking

Laptop brightness keys do not repeat at keyboard repeat rate

While trying to figure out why holding down the brightness key results in sluggish brightness changes, I realized that the brightness up and down keys (i.e. XF86MonBrightnessUp and XF86MonBrightnessDown) repeat much slower than nearly all the other keys, in particular, the volume keys.

I have my key repeat set to fast (xset r rate 190 80), so when I press and hold the volume keys, the volume changes quickly. However, it's very slow and sluggish for the brightness keys and this is confirmed by xev. All other keys repeat at the expected rate except for some of the other XF86 function keys such as Search and MicMute, which do not repeat at all.

How can I get the XF86 Brightness keys to repeat at the same rate as the rest of my keyboard? Would appreciate if anyone can try this out and confirm they don't (or do) have this problem. A small thread (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248862) from 2019 had no solution.

Does anyone have any tips on how to begin debugging the issue?

This is on a Lenovo ThinkPad T460 running IceWM 2.1.1.

Thanks!

#2 2021-03-20 20:11:00

luigipertoldi
Website

Re: Laptop brightness keys do not repeat at keyboard repeat rate

Same problem on my brand new ThinkPad Carbon X1. The repeat time for XF86MonBrightnessUp/Down is hundreds of milliseconds and I cannot change it with xset. I didn't have this issue on my old laptop (configured in the same way) and other machines, so it looks Lenovo specific. No idea on how to debug this.

Board footer