You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-10 19:59:08

UweSauter

nouveau ddx causes Mate Desktop to freeze, modesetting ddx does not

I'm having a strange issue with Mate Desktop in combination with the nouveau X driver. I already contacted the nouveau mailing list and did some verbose logging and one of the nouveau devs, Ilia Mirkin, analyzed those. He concluded that the issue is not inside the nouveau X driver. He suspects Mate.
As Mate does not have a dedicated mailing list that I was able to find and the Mate community website references this forum, I'm hoping to get the attention of one of the Mate developers.
Hardware and software infos at the end.

#### symptoms ####
Once the X server decides to switch into power saving mode and turns the display off using DPMS some part of the graphics stack seems to freeze. I can wake up the display and it will show me the last picture but most of the functionality is still frozen. I can move the mouse pointer but the clock applet won't show the seconds counting and selecting desktop icons does not work.
It seems that I can still start programs from the panel (I can see the process when remotely logging in) but they produce no graphics output.

This happens in either of the two clock settings I can set in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate .

The proprietary driver (nvidia-dkms 460.39-1) does not show this behavior as does the modesetting driver that comes with xorg-server 1.20.10-3.

#### actions so far ####
As already mentioned I contacted the nouveau mailing list and Ilia was so kind to do some debugging with me. I gathered verbose dmesg logs (drm.debug=12) as well as X server logs.

When changing the X driver from nouveau to modesetting the issue disappears.

Configuriung nouveau to use DRI 3 does not help.

Ilia concluded with: "My guess is that it's some event that the compositor is waiting on but never getting, so it has paused its rendering loop. I'd imagine a MATE developer would be able to provide further comments."

#### what's next ####
I'll need advice on debugging Mate. First thing probably is to get some logging enabled for the core components of Mate.

I'd be grateful if someone could help me get to the cause. I'm out of ideas and could keep on using the modesetting X driver but in general I'm all for finding the cause of such issues. It's just that my knowledge very limited in the graphics stack

Regards,

Uwe

#### hardware ####
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550M S2H, Bios F13a with AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0
RAM: 2x 16GB Kingston DDR4 3200MHz ECC
GPU: ASUS GT710-4H-SL-2GD5, 2GB GDDR5, 4x HDMI, VideoBIOS: 80.28.b8.00.05
Display: ViewSonic VP2468

### software ###
Arch Linux
Kernel: 5.10.13-arch1-2
linux-firmware: 20201218.646f159-1
mate-desktop: 1.24.1-1
Mesa: 20.3.4-1
xorg-server: 1.20.10-3
xf86-video-nouveau: 1.0.17-1

Last edited by UweSauter (2021-02-10 20:01:28)

Board footer