You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-25 04:48:10

ravisghosh
Website

xfce shutdown/reboot button, gaim smiley, mod4 key

Hi friends,

Here is an aray of problems I am facing with arch.

First of all, it is about shutdown/reboot button on xfce4. I followed the wiki ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … o_shutdown ) to allow users to shutdown/reboot. It does work, but everytime i click shutdown/reboot from "quit" in xfce4 menu, it asks for password which is really annoying. How can I get rid of this password thing and be able to shutdown/reboot for normal user.

Next, I installed gaim a little while ago, but when I click on smileys during conversation, it says "This theme has no available smileys." How can i get smileys in gaim.

Also, in xfce4 window manager setting, i made a command shortcut  "xfdesktop -menu" and assigned mod4 (win key) but it takes it as "mod4+super+super_L" and the key does not work to show menu. However, the same worked on ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

Ravi S Ghosh

#2 2006-10-25 08:03:51

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: xfce shutdown/reboot button, gaim smiley, mod4 key

ravisghosh wrote:

First of all, it is about shutdown/reboot button on xfce4. I followed the wiki ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … o_shutdown ) to allow users to shutdown/reboot. It does work, but everytime i click shutdown/reboot from "quit" in xfce4 menu, it asks for password which is really annoying. How can I get rid of this password thing and be able to shutdown/reboot for normal user.

Your /etc/sudoers is wrong, I suppose.
Here's a part of mine:

%users  server=NOPASSWD:/opt/xfce4/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

"server" is the hostname of my Arch box.
Tell me if it works for you, so I can add this to Wiki.

to live is to die

#3 2006-10-25 11:04:59

dolby

u dont need to edit the sudoers file. just add your user(s) to the power group

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#4 2006-10-26 05:24:16

ravisghosh
Website

Thanks Romashka

That solved my problem and surely it should be there in wiki.

But when i log in as root and logout using the first option of "quit" instead of loging out, it drops me into shell without logging out whereas when i click the same button as normal user, it logs me out and dops me in a shell.

Also, does anyone got any clue about mod4 key issue.

#5 2007-01-22 18:09:38

kozaki
Website

Shutdown / reboot dialog in latest xfce4-svn appears to be broken :
I'm building Arch w/ xfce4-svn on an old PII 360MHz / 98Mo RAM (shared!). Here's how it looks smile :
ce90023512_tn.png

Now "quit" button just close the session without any dialog.
I've
- added user to the 'power' group
- configured sudo:

%users celeron=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now
%users celeron=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -r now
%users=(root) NOPASSWD: /opt/xfce4/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Samething with "test ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /opt/xfce4/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper"

Here's the output of /opt/xfce4/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper from console (with/without sudo):

XFSM_SUDO_DONE
FAILED

Any idea please ?
That box is not for me & I can hardly give it to the old lady without a button to shut down :?

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#6 2007-01-22 18:57:32

dolby

dolby wrote:

u dont need to edit the sudoers file. just add your user(s) to the power group

hell u dont even need sudo
id suggets u grab xfce from testing til the stable release goes in extra tho

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#7 2007-01-22 19:18:32

kozaki
Website

In fact, xfce4-session's dialog with shutdown/reboot disapeared when i upgraded to xfce4.3.99.2 from Testing.

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

Board footer