You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-17 07:53:32

deepmandal4742

[SOLVED] Weird problem while starting arch.

I am having a very weird  problem in my laptop. Whenever I start arch with any kind of wires attached(data cables or ethernet cable, charger cable works fine), the screen gets stuck with a blinking white cursor after initial arch and initramfs, though I can access the tty but the greeter or xfce4 doesnt seem to work.  So if I reboot I have to get back to fallback initramfs option. and then it would boot but no wires should be attached. I cant seem to figure out anything and sorry if I had made any mistake. This is my first post. I am ready to provide any details if anyone needs. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by deepmandal4742 (2021-02-17 14:20:35)

#2 2021-02-17 12:27:07

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Weird problem while starting arch.

the screen gets stuck with a blinking white cursor after initial arch and initramfs, though I can access the tty

Does the screen work when accessing the tty ?

Does it boot with normal initramfs if you have no wires attached ?

I don't understand what you mean with datacables, what connector do they use and which devices does it connect the laptop to ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-02-17 12:34:18

deepmandal4742

While the blinking cursor is there, I can access to tty2 by pressing alt + f2 and I can login too in my user profile. So to answer your question, yes, it starts with normal initramfs even with the wires attached, but greeter doesnt work and i have to reboot or turn off my laptop and start again, still this problem happens(the greeter doesnt come up, only the command line arch). And i have to resatrt using the power button through the fallback initramfs option in grub and then also sometimes same problem arises but after doing it a few more times it somehow starts normally. By data cables I mean any usb cable like a usb mouse, my phone connected by a usb and also ethernet cables. I have reinstalled arch a lot of times and it still happens. Though a few weeks back there was no such problem.

Last edited by deepmandal4742 (2021-02-17 12:48:33)

#4 2021-02-17 12:46:46

Lone_Wolf

The blinking cursor sounds like the race condition where graphics are used before the videocard has fully initialised.

It does seem possible the presence of those cables / devices increases the delay before the videocard gets its turn, but this may need further investigation .

The typical solution / workaround for the race condition is to ensure the videocard gets initialised much earlier.

Configure https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … _KMS_start .
After editing mkinitcpio.conf and regenerating initramfs, reboot .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2021-02-17 14:17:20

deepmandal4742

Dude, thank you so much. My arch works smooth now. Thank you so much for your time. I will prepend the tittle of this post with solved.

Last edited by deepmandal4742 (2021-02-17 14:44:47)

Board footer