You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-18 22:47:42

Registered: 2021-02-18
Posts: 2

[SOLVED] Sennheiser GSX 1000 not working after Updating pulseaudio

Hello everyone

The Sennheiser GSX 1000 did work with some additional configuration.
I gathered advice and examples from and it worked perfectly.
I did not use the provided install script and created everything manually.

On the last update I saw that there is a file conflict for /usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/profile-sets/sennheiser-gsx.conf
This is the file I created to make the GSX 1000 working.
The package that caused this was alsa-card-profiles (14.0-1 -> 1:0.3.21-1)

I removed my file an installed all the updates.
After a reboot, the GSX 1000 was missing in the audio settings.
The logs showed the following error:

Feb 16 22:57:20 Destiny pulseaudio[2785]: Failed to find a working profile.
Feb 16 22:57:20 Destiny pulseaudio[2785]: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="1" name="usb-Sennheiser_GSX_1000_Main_Audio_5698800299040859-00" card_name="alsa_card.usb-Sennheiser_GSX_1000_Main_Audio_5698800299040859-00" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes avoid_resampling=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

I removed all additional configuration that I have added before


ATTRS{idVendor}=="1395", ATTRS{idProduct}=="005e", ENV{PULSE_PROFILE_SET}="sennheiser-gsx.conf"




Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "disable Sennheiser GSX 1000 as an input device"
    MatchProduct "Sennheiser GSX 1000 Main Audio"
    Option "Ignore" "on"

After another reboot, the GSX 1000 showed up again but only Mono output is available.

I downgraded the following packages to the version I used before, restored all additional files except the /usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/profile-sets/sennheiser-gsx.conf (I kept the new version shipped with alsa-card-profiles) and then upgraded version by version.
For me, the last working versions are:
alsa-card-profiles 14.2-1
lib32-libpulse 14.2-1
libpulse 14.2-1
pulseaudio 14.2-1

All other packages are up2date.

As soon as I upgrade to *pulse* 14.2-2 / alsa-card-profiles 0.3.20 and remove the additional files, only Mono output is available.
At the moment I am back on the last working version, but I would like to fix the problem and update to the newest version.

Before I go on and upgrade again for further troubleshooting, is there anything that I should/could/need to get/do, that could help to get to the bottom of the problem?
What files/infos/test should I gather after the upgrade?

This is my first post here, because before I always could find a solution here or on the Arch Wiki.
It is really great to have such good resources with so many knowledgeable people contributing so that there is a solution to almost anything.
However, this time, I am a little lost, as the whole alsa/pulseaudio/pipewire is still a mystery for me and I have not found anything to get a grip on the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Last edited by gasoo (2021-02-21 00:50:19)


#2 2021-02-18 22:55:32

Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 12,237

Re: [SOLVED] Sennheiser GSX 1000 not working after Updating pulseaudio

The default  profile set lookup path for pulseaudio was moved again to /usr/share/pulseaudio instead of /usr/share/alsa-card-profiles due to file conflicts with pipewire

So you should be able to restore functionality by setting up both the udev rule and the sennheiser-gsx.conf but place it under /usr/share/pulseaudio/mixer/profile-sets/sennheiser-gsx.conf

Last edited by V1del (2021-02-18 22:56:58)


#3 2021-02-21 00:43:21

Registered: 2021-02-18
Posts: 2

Re: [SOLVED] Sennheiser GSX 1000 not working after Updating pulseaudio

I did copy the file sennheiser-gsx.conf that came with the new alsa-card-profiles package to /usr/share/pulseaudio before, but it did not work.
As it turns out, I just gave up too early and have not checked the logs good enough.

After a lot of reboots and playing around with pavucontrol and the cinnamon-sound applet, I got it to work.
However, I still have a strange problem, which occurs when I use the sound applet.

I have the Sennheiser GSX 1000 and a Creative X-Fi sound card.
If I select/change the sound card in pavucontrol, everything works as expected.
If I select/change it in the sound applet, the GSX switches to mono and the logs are filled with hundreds of the following messages:

Feb 21 00:40:18 Destiny kernel: usb 2- cannot submit urb 0, error -28: not enough bandwidth

Before the first of the above messages, I saw the following two lines:
Feb 21 00:40:15 Destiny pulseaudio[1482]: Sink does not support sample format of float32le, set it to a verified value
Feb 21 00:40:15 Destiny pulseaudio[1482]: Suspending source alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor due to changing format, desired format = s16le rate = 44100

Only a reboot did fix the problem and when the GSX was selected in the sound applet, the problem did persist even after the reboot. 
I checked the daemon.conf and remembered that I did enable the avoid-resampling, so maybe that causes this.
The only other options that are set in daemon.conf should haven nothing to do with this (remixing-produce-lfe / remixing-consume-lfe / flat-volumes)

After removing the setting from daemon.conf, the flooding with the kernel messages stopped.
But still, when I select/change the card in the cinnamon sound applet, the GSX output switches to mono and I am unable to get surround.
Nevertheless, it still is a improvement, as I can change the card in pavucontrol and get the surround back.

So for me the problem is mostly solved.
As I do not use the sound applet all that much, I can live with this situation but it still confuses me a little.

Maybe someone can tell me, why this is happening,


Board footer

Powered by FluxBB