You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-08 01:25:00

Phydoux65

Arch install is stuck after timedatectl set-ntp true

This has been happening to many others since around the August 1 2020 release. You can hit the Enter key to kick out of it but if you wait a few minutes then it gets un-stuck. How do I do a bug report for this? Or are they working on fixing this?

Last edited by Phydoux65 (2021-03-08 02:45:55)

#2 2021-03-08 01:30:54

GaKu999

Re: Arch install is stuck after timedatectl set-ntp true

Wdym stuck? What is stuck? Are you stuck? Stuck on what?

Do note that only enables the services for systemd-timedated, nothing fancy...

Even so since during install you are inside a chroot most things regarding systemd inside the chroot are just fumbling around with those symlinks in /etc...

Last edited by GaKu999 (2021-03-08 01:34:27)

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2021-03-08 01:34:25

Slithery
Administrator

More information needed.
I haven't seen any threads in the forums about this issue, who are these 'many others'?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-03-08 02:48:45

Phydoux65

I've seen a few other people make posts about it on Reddit. I just tried it again with the March 2021 release and it just hangs after you do the "timedatectl set-ntp true" command. I noticed it in August when I created a VM with Arch. I thought maybe it was a VM thing but no, some people on Reddit mentioned it. Today is the latest mention I found of it.

#5 2021-03-08 02:58:33

GaKu999

Does Ctrl-D or Ctrl-C or enter key works?
Switching to another tty should also work...

Well that reddit post is very silly...just because systemd made some noise in the terminal doesn’t mean it’s stuck...https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … ctl_setntp

I hope you are not waiting for the prompt to appear after those messages...

Now that this happened I realized that systemd randomly doesn’t stop sending the info messages to the tty after spawning getty, but that is not that common and it’s pretty rare, also respawning getty can get it to stop the nonsense, this for the search engine queries pointing here.

Last edited by GaKu999 (2021-03-08 03:16:10)

My reposSome snippets

#6 2021-03-08 03:33:10

kermit63

I have seen this behavior for a while. Contrary to OP, it is not stuck. You are still in the command prompt, waiting for keyboard input, with some intervening message from systemd.

If you're in the middle of typing something when the messages show up, you can continue typing, hit enter and the command will still take effect.

Similarly, if haven't typed anything yet when the messages appear, you can still start typing whatever command you want.

#7 2021-03-08 09:02:36

Phydoux65

Stuck or not, to a new user it might be really confusing. To someone who's installed Arch in the past and never had an issue with it hanging, it too could be confusing. The first time it happened to me, I rebooted the computer twice because I thought it was frozen. I even re-downloaded the ISO thinking there may be something wrong with the original. I happened upon the fix accidentally when I pushed CTRL C to see if that would stop it. I believe it's an issue that should be looked into. While not a serious issue it's still a bit confusing to some.

#8 2021-03-08 12:40:26

GaKu999

Idk, for a windows noob when something doesn’t launch the newbie clicks the icon a gazillion times and then it opens a gazillion times...

For a linux noob, when the terminal seems frozen it’s likely to spam the keyboard just to see if it’s just apparent.

I mean, even today sometimes I end up doing *angry keyboard tipping*, but since systemd is sometimes (1/4 ratio) not properly disallocating the tty where agetty is on and it’s still spamming with messages, it should be reported to systemd, if it’s not done so already.

Nothing can be done over here really...the service already is as it should be.

Last edited by GaKu999 (2021-03-08 12:51:42)

My reposSome snippets

Board footer