You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-12 05:21:46

HighValueWarrior

Migrate from Samsung SSD to Samsung Nvme

Hello all,

I have 2 samsung ssd in my wife's system and going to add a samsung 970 nvme.
One of the ssd has windows on it  - the other primary ssd is arch of course.

I plan to use the samsung magician software while booted in the windows ssd to clone arch linux ssd to the nvme ?
Should the clone be successful - what else will I need to do to make everything boot ?
Has anyone done something similiar ?

Thanks for reading.

#2 2021-03-12 06:42:39

jonno2002

Re: Migrate from Samsung SSD to Samsung Nvme

#3 2021-03-12 06:51:36

d_fajardo

I have no experience with samsung magician and I personally wouldn't touch my archlinux system using windows.
If I were you I would simply do a full system backup with rsync while booted in archlinux. Have a good read of the section Full system backup of that page.

#4 2021-03-12 08:29:10

Neonvieh
Website

I was in exactly the same situation and I did the top to bottom method about 2 months ago. Keep in mind to use compatible partition formats (think about capital file names and symlinks in particular).

My method was similar to the article linked by @jonno2002. I first cleaned up the system as good as possible and then migrated it to the newly created partition with rsync (dont remember the flags I used). Note that i did not dd the whole partition since I wanted to resize in the process as well. While my old system and new one were working perfectly fine I would not recommend this procedure for everyone. A clean install where you only migrate a package list and the needed settings is what I would recommend. However since I did not find it necessary in my case and I was a bit lazy and had to use my system in the upcoming weeks and didn't want to spend a whole lot of time reconfiguring my new install, I figured that this was the way to go for me.

I still have the old copy of my OS on my sata-ssd. I will be deleting this and free up more space for fast accessible data storage. Probably in a month or so.
My whole process was very quick since copying from sata-ssd to nvme-ssd is very fast and so downtime was only minimized by my own incompetence :-P

Hope this helps.

#5 2021-03-12 08:42:52

paulkerry

I've recently swapped some storage around and did the top to bottom method that @jonno2002 mentioned and all went fine.

I used the arch installer iso written to a usb stick and booted that as a live system, made the relevant partitions and filesystems on the new storage, mounted them and the partitions from the old storage, then used rsync as @d_fajardo mentioned, specifically https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rs … em_cloning
Just remember to follow the top to bottom method fully: fstab, boot loader, initramfs, etc as it mentions.

Another alternative is to use something like clonezilla live, then maybe resize partitions afterwards if needed using something like gparted live.

Regards
Paul

Last edited by paulkerry (2021-03-12 08:51:19)

Board footer