You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-28 15:49:12

lilsirecho
Veteran

.mov2.avi and jpeg2.avi, also; join .avi files (success)

Movies taken with Panasonic DMC-TZ1 camera are quicktime formatted and some users do not have codecs to decode it for presentation in windows.

The following command line input produces a useable .avi output in windows and maybe it can be improved upon to generate a standard 640/480 .avi.  It is 608x488 with this input on my machine.

[root@n6re ~]# mencoder '/root/movie3.avi' -oac pcm -vf scale=640:-11  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o  output16.avi    (This command for camera generated quicktime movies).

Any improvements would be welcomed smile

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2006-10-28 18:55:00

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: .mov2.avi and jpeg2.avi, also; join .avi files (success)

Converted movie uploaded to ultrashare.net and movie shared with friends via download code sent via e-mail.  Downloaded from their web site URL coded in e-mail..click and download.

Size of file(files only) can be 250MB in ultrashare.net.  Each file is separately handled.

No need to register, at least that is the statement they include on their website.

Anyone know a method of creating a single file of all camera jpegs in a folder?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2006-10-28 20:01:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Corrected the scale to 640 and the result was 640x480 .avi :oops:

#4 2006-10-29 06:00:53

lilsirecho
Veteran

Discovered the movie capabilities of "Picasa".

With the camera pics installed in Picasa, highlighted with CTRL mouse click, a selection of pictures to include in a "movie" is made.  Then CREATE is selected in the picasa toolbar, and "movie" is selected in its menu.

The movie can be made with two formats, 320x240 or 640x480.  The pix I included in a movie were about 7MB per pix and I selected 15 pix which added up to 109MB in the movie.  When selecting 640x480 size the pixels required are 4x greater resulting in ~435MB in the movie.
There are three formats..960x720 is also available.

With my 128kb/s upload to ultrashare, the 108MB uploaded to ultrashare in ~2 hours.  Downloading the same movie took ~15 mins.

The format extension on these "movies" is DIB.  The "movie" plays in mplayer,xmms, kaffeine, kaboodle, and noatun in my machine.

At this time, I do not know if DIB extension is recognized in windows.

This method permits the uploading of many pix by including them in a "movie" file.

Those users having higher bandwidth inerfaces can expect shorter times for the transfers.

I have yet to determine what DIB stands for>>>>> smile

I suspect that uploading a file of whatever size is limited to uploading only one file.  The ID for that file is given after the upload.  If you upload another file, the first one is no longer available AFAIK.

The "movie" generated can be paused, pix enlarged, mplayer functions applied while displaying in mplayer.

This system permits more than one pix to be sent from a folder by placing the contents of the folder in Picasa and performing the steps to make a "movie" file.  Only  a file can be uploaded to ultrashare.net.

This system solves the problem of sending  many pix to friends and family from a folder based source.  Slow but sure.

#5 2006-10-29 10:28:41

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

DIB = Device-Independent Bitmap graphic, or a bmp file without a bmp header.

It looks like your DIB files are just multi-pic bmp files. That also explains why they are so large, iirc bmp uses no compression at all.

See http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DIB .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2006-10-30 05:18:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for the info LONE WOLF.  You're not such a" wile animal" lol

I modified my approach to utilize another process following the DIB phase.

I ran the DIB through another mencoder run and made 50 pix at 640x480 in a 5.1MB file to upload.  I tried 100 pix but the mencoder failed to accept.  It may be size-limited to 2GB in the DIB format.

More likely, the msmpeg4v2 format limits the size to 2GB in mencoder.

The mencoder I used was:

mencoder '/root/PicasaDocuments/My Pictures/Ireland three2.avi' -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o output28.avi

Several runs were made including one at larger resolution (960x720) which were successful  with 35 pix and produced a 4.3MB .avi file to upload.

I have ~300 pix to send ..........

So I have made an end run around the size problem and can dole out the pix or find a solution to the mencoder failure at 100pix.  I may keep making the same error........................... :oops: !

Not an error but a limit in the codec.....

A step at a time................ :

#7 2006-10-31 18:12:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

Basic resolution of the pix from my camera is 2560x1920 pixels.

When educing to 640x480 picture detail is reduced.  In DIB format, bitmaps are generated which retain the pixels. 

In movie.avi format, many pix can be included at 320x240 size and the same is true of 640x480 at a reduced number.

The desired pix by the recipient of the movie presented pix can then be uploaded singly at full resolution to be downloaded by the recipient.

One such 640x480 msmpeg4v2 movie provided ~50 pix for upload at 5.1MB size.  Download time ~6min @ 88KB/s rate (DSL).

Another upload of 104mb took 16min for download at that rate.

Performance with other pixel-sizes will affect the number of pix the movie mode can produce in msmpeg4v2.

Slideshow Movie Producer in windows claims it can produce movies with greater than 2GB limits.  I haven't tried that setup.

Picasa is downloaded into arch free and provides an avenue for producing movie files from camera pix which can be uploaded to share sites for friends and family.

Q.E.D.

#8 2006-11-01 19:07:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

Prepared a group of DIB files from 50pix selections for each DIB file in Picasa movie maker.

Total pix ~290 in 6 DIB files.  As each dib file is very large(1.3GB), ran the following mencoder program to create a mpg4.avi.

#mencoder (file name .avi)  -oac pcm -vf scale=640:-11 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o output(n).avi

This was done for 6 such DIB files, deleting the DIB files from the computer after conversion to manage the hard drive conditions.

After creating the six converted files, I joined them with the following mencoder command;

#mencoder -nosound -ovc copy -o output(n).avi file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6

This produced a single file of 29.4 MB containing the 290 pix which can be uploaded to

ultrashare to share pix with friends. That's about 0.1MB per pix....

The DIB setup was 640x480 with 1 second per pix and must be a limited number of pix such
that the conversion to msmpeg4v2  will be less than 2GB.

Since the upload capability is 250MB, ~9 times this effort is possible!  (~2450 pix of the same resolution).  Using 320x240 would extend the capability by 2 times.....

Mencoder has a capability to encode jpeg files to .avi.  I find the Picasa program in GUI easiest to arrange the pix in thumbnail format and selection is ctrl mouse click.

Windows media player 9 plays the "movie" thus generated at 1 pix per second which can be paused for viewing.

Hope someone can use this mish-mash smile

Board footer