You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-22 19:31:37

Cphusion

[SOLVED] lightdm fails to start after changing my system's videocard

I'm new here on the forums but not new to Arch, I have been happily running Arch for some time now and have never run into any problems. However I decided I wanted to try an AMD graphics card(Radeon RX 6700 XT) to see it how the opensource drivers compare to the Nvidia closed sourced drivers, my old card is a RTX 2070. Before putting the new card into my system I removed the Nvidia drivers and disabled my current xorg.conf where the nvidia drivers are mentioned, after putting the RX 6700 XT into my system, turning on my system and entering my password to decrypt my disk during boot it just hangs and does nothing. I went to check the journal boot logs and it looks like lightdm fails to start, so I collected some information and thought I would share it here to see if anyone here has an ideas. After I put my old graphics card back into my system lightdm has no trouble starting.

Here's my boot journal of my most recent boot while the new card is in my system, it may be useful to know that in this boot I tried to boot in the linux-mainline kernel(5.12rc3-1) from AUR because the vanilla kernel, zen kernel and lts kernel I had already tried: boot.txt
This is the part of the boot log file that stands out.

Mar 22 19:13:48 lilith systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Mar 22 19:13:48 lilith systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 22 19:13:48 lilith systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

I also see this in boot journal.

Command line: initrd=\arch\boot\intel-ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\amd-ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\x86_64

I have an intel CPU(i9-9900KF) and have intel-ucode installed and not amd-ucode so I'm not sure why it's booting with amd-ucode?

Here's the dmesg while booted with the Arch live iso: dmesg.txt

Here's the output from lspci -nn while booted with the Arch live iso.

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 22 [1002:73df] (rev c1)

Here's the verbose output of lspci -v while booted with the Arch live iso: lspci_verbose.txt
I see that the pcieport driver is used, I actually would expect a different driver but can't know for sure because this is the first time in years that I'm trying and AMD graphics card. I tried booting from the live iso of Linux Mint and the graphical environment does start then and it uses the same pcieport driver.

Here's the packages I have installed which were mentioned on the AMDGPU wiki page.

local/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org amdgpu video driver
local/lib32-mesa 21.0.0-1
    An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification (32-bit)
local/mesa 21.0.0-1
    An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification

Here I installed the mesa packages from the testing repository but I also tried the ones from the normal repository which is version 20.3.4-3.

Hardware really isn't my thing but I'm kind of getting the idea that the driver may not be in the kernel yet and/or that an updated firmware package may be needed, as well as maybe an update of llvm because I read in the mesa-git(AUR) comments that mesa and llvm are "closely tied together".  Am I on the right track and does anyone else have any other ideas? I just remembered that a copy of my Xorg.0.log would have been useful but to I would have to swap around graphics cards again so I'll just leave it for now, let me know if that would be useful but I hope this is enough information for now.

Last edited by Cphusion (2021-03-23 20:32:51)

#2 2021-03-22 19:48:43

Morn

Re: [SOLVED] lightdm fails to start after changing my system's videocard

I don't think Arch has the required firmware for that card yet. It has just been merged upstream though:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … T-Firmware

#3 2021-03-22 20:05:13

Cphusion

Morn wrote:

I don't think Arch has the required firmware for that card yet. It has just been merged upstream though:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … T-Firmware

Thanks for sharing that! I guess I will just have to be a bit more patient, good thing to know I was on the right track.

Last edited by Cphusion (2021-03-22 20:10:58)

#4 2021-03-22 20:19:33

loqs

@Cphusion linux-firmware-git in AUR contains navy_flounder_sos.bin.

#5 2021-03-23 11:48:20

Cphusion

loqs wrote:

@loqs Thanks! I will try it later today and report back with the results.

Last edited by Cphusion (2021-03-23 12:01:39)

#6 2021-03-23 14:19:49

lupo.lupov

Check if logind-check-graphical is set to true in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf | grep logind-check-graphical
# logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical by logind
logind-check-graphical=true

#7 2021-03-23 19:50:07

Cphusion

loqs wrote:

@loqs That did the trick, thanks a lot for that suggestion! Lightdm now starts with my new graphics card in my system, I can configure my monitors to full resolution and may
games all work on full resolution as well. Any idea how long it will be before the firmware in linux-firmware-git gets packaged into linux-firmware?

Last edited by Cphusion (2021-03-23 20:07:37)

#8 2021-03-23 20:15:17

loqs

Cphusion wrote:

Any idea how long it will be before the firmware in linux-firmware-git gets packaged into linux-firmware?

Whenever there is a new release tag added to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … e.git/log/ (no idea on when that will be).

#9 2021-03-23 20:32:30

Cphusion

loqs wrote:
Cphusion wrote:

Any idea how long it will be before the firmware in linux-firmware-git gets packaged into linux-firmware?

Whenever there is a new release tag added to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … e.git/log/ (no idea on when that will be).

I will keep a eye on the kernel git repository then, thanks again for your help! I will mark this topic as solved.

Last edited by Cphusion (2021-03-23 20:40:27)

Board footer