You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-29 11:16:30

mackdk

KPPP problem

I'm trying to connect to internet with kppp dialer (56k connection...) as a normal user but I always kppp tells me that pppd dies and gives me the following error :

Cannot open any of the following logfiles:
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

I really can't understand it. Note that both kppp and pppd have SUID set and that the /var/log directory is writable for normal users. Moreover I have no problem connecting manually with pppd deamon. Any clues?

<i>"Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds he will become troubled. When he become troubled, he will be astonished, and will rule over the all."</i>

#2 2006-10-29 12:33:23

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: KPPP problem

that message usually appears when ppp has a problem starting.

Check dmesg or /var/log/errors.log for the cause of the error.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-10-29 19:22:09

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I was having this problem when I was using kppp. Install sysklogd and add:
syslogd klogd
to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf.  They will create the necessary log files. Check these log files to get the error that caused pppd to die.

#4 2006-10-31 21:29:10

mackdk

Install sysklogd

Thanks! That it the spot. Kppp is a bit confusing since pppd the problem wasn't related to the log. It was the auth option I was sure to have commented out but I didn't.

Anyaway, I have a question now... Shouldn't syslog-ng do the same job of sysklogd? Why kppp had problems? Something wrong in my configuration?

<i>"Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds he will become troubled. When he become troubled, he will be astonished, and will rule over the all."</i>

#5 2006-10-31 23:13:42

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

mackdk wrote:

Install sysklogd

Thanks! That it the spot. Kppp is a bit confusing since pppd the problem wasn't related to the log. It was the auth option I was sure to have commented out but I didn't.

Anyaway, I have a question now... Shouldn't syslog-ng do the same job of sysklogd? Why kppp had problems? Something wrong in my configuration?

Yes, they are both logging daemons. I think syslog-ng is more modern. Probably kppp is still using the sysklogd daemons to log error message.

Board footer