You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-29 17:57:18

ise
Developer
Website

[solved] Brother DCP-110C and CUPS 1.2.x

Hi,

my girlfriend's multifunction printer/scanner-combo from Brother doesn't work. There are drivers (cupswrapper) directly from Brother, but they don't work. There are no error messages in the logfile of cups and the Brother-Logfile.

CUPS detect the printer correct and show it in the webinterface, but printing a test page doesn't work. I have installed the driver with the instructions from their page. I have edit the files to need the directory structure of ArchLinux (/etc/rc.d/ instead /etc/init.d/), but nothing happens. CUPS find the driver and all, but the printer won't print. Can it be, that the drivers from Brother don't work anymore with CUPS 1.2.x, because their driver are written for CUPS 1.1.

Any suggestions??

Daniel

edit: The suggestion from Brother's FAQ, doesn't work.

#2 2006-11-05 19:31:52

ise
Developer
Website

Re: [solved] Brother DCP-110C and CUPS 1.2.x

After some hard fights the multifunction printer/scanner-combo works...  big_smile

There was several steps necessary to get this device working. First of all, you will need cups and lpd (lprng-package). Both packages conflicts with each others, I know, but the device won't work with only one of them. So I first installed cups and force lprng to install over the files from cups. Very very ugly, I know.

You will need the cupswrapper and the lpd-driver from Brother.
Also the SANE driver from Brother is necessary to scan with the scanner.

After installation of the three drivers from Brother, you must edit the cupswrapper script because there are /etc/init.d in the files. Change these to /etc/rc.d
Cups will find the printer on his own, if the driver is correctly installed. Sane finds the scanner after executing the br2scan (program from Brother) installation steps.

If there are any questions about these device. Feel free to ask me, I think after several days looking through logfiles etc. I can answer all questions....  big_smile

Daniel

PS: I will search further for a solution for the very ugly pacman -Sfd lprng.....

Board footer