You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-01 11:34:36

Tar3k Hasan
Member
Registered: 2021-03-19
Posts: 14

[SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

I tried to install wine today.
[Input]= sudo pacman -S wine

[Output]= resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "expat=2.3.0", a dependency of "lib32-expat"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-expat", a dependency of "lib32-fontconfig"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-fontconfig", a dependency of "wine"
warning: cannot resolve "expat=2.3.0", a dependency of "lib32-expat"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-expat", a dependency of "lib32-wayland"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-wayland", a dependency of "lib32-mesa"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-mesa", a dependency of "lib32-libglvnd"
:: There are 2 providers available for lib32-opengl-driver:
:: Repository multilib
   1) lib32-mesa  2) lib32-nvidia-utils

[Input]= 1

[Output]= warning: cannot resolve "expat=2.3.0", a dependency of "lib32-expat"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-expat", a dependency of "lib32-wayland"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-wayland", a dependency of "lib32-mesa"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-opengl-driver", a dependency of "lib32-libglvnd"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-libgl", a dependency of "lib32-sdl2"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-sdl2", a dependency of "lib32-faudio"
warning: cannot resolve "lib32-faudio", a dependency of "wine"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      wine

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] y
looking for conflicting packages...
there is nothing to do.



I googled and found out that expat 2.3.0 is out on March 25, 2021. So I tried updating expat.

[Input]= sudo pacman -S expat

[Output]= warning: expat-2.2.10-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
                resolving dependencies...
                looking for conflicting packages...

                Packages (1) expat-2.2.10-2

                Total Installed Size:  0.36 MiB
                Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

                 :: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

So I have 2.2.10-2 installed. I searched expat in arch website expat 2.3.0-1 is available but in testing repository and expat 2.2.10 is in core repository and its flagged out of date in 25 march. So how can I upgrade this package. As far as I can see I won't be able to install wine without this package. What should I do.

NOTE: I'm in {linux-lts} kernel. Is this why it is not updating this package as 2.3.0 version is still in testing. Please let me know. I'm new to Arch that's why.

Last edited by Tar3k Hasan (2021-04-01 20:41:58)

Offline

#2 2021-04-01 12:05:56

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 12,505

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

reads like you have multilib-testing enabled without also having testing enabled, don't do that. comment / remove multilib-testing from your pacman.conf and refresh your DBs

sudo pacman -Syuu wine

Please use

[code]code tags [/code]

for posting outputs in the future.

Last edited by V1del (2021-04-01 12:52:43)

Offline

#3 2021-04-01 12:45:35

a821
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 239

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

I guess V1del meant

sudo pacman -Syuu wine

The double y is rarely necessary, while the double u is required for disabling testing repos.

Offline

#4 2021-04-01 12:55:20

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 12,505

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

Right, thanks for catching that had something else in my head that doesn't make sense in retrospect as they are different repos anyway

Offline

#5 2021-04-01 14:32:53

Tar3k Hasan
Member
Registered: 2021-03-19
Posts: 14

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

V1del wrote:

reads like you have multilib-testing enabled without also having testing enabled, don't do that. comment / remove multilib-testing from your pacman.conf and refresh your DBs

sudo pacman -Syuu wine

Please use

[code]code tags [/code]

for posting outputs in the future.

I have this in my pacman.conf

[multilib-testing]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Should I remove (-testing) after multilib in the first line? Please answer and Thank you for you suggestion.

Offline

#6 2021-04-01 14:37:47

Scimmia
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 8,414

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

Why did you enable the multilib-testing repo at all? You can't do that without running testing and community-testing as well.

To be clear, no, you don't change the name of the repo so you have multilib twice. That would make no sense at all. Instead of randomly doing things, stop and understand what you're doing.

Last edited by Scimmia (2021-04-01 14:40:27)

Offline

#7 2021-04-01 15:18:21

Tar3k Hasan
Member
Registered: 2021-03-19
Posts: 14

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

Scimmia wrote:

Why did you enable the multilib-testing repo at all? You can't do that without running testing and community-testing as well.

To be clear, no, you don't change the name of the repo so you have multilib twice. That would make no sense at all. Instead of randomly doing things, stop and understand what you're doing.

I didn't do anything at all. I didn't enable multilib-testing. I don't know how it happened. So please let me know If I have to remove the first 2 line Or I just uncheck those 2 line with #. Thank you btw.

Offline

#8 2021-04-01 15:26:31

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 12,505

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

That's impossible as it isn't and never has been enabled by default and neither is multilib itself. Unless you aren't actually using Arch and are using a third party script/tutorial. You can do either of these two, the resulting effect will be the same.

Offline

#9 2021-04-01 15:38:54

Tar3k Hasan
Member
Registered: 2021-03-19
Posts: 14

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

V1del wrote:

That's impossible as it isn't and never has been enabled by default and neither is multilib itself. Unless you aren't actually using Arch and are using a third party script/tutorial. You can do either of these two, the resulting effect will be the same.

I don't know how it happened. I actually use Arch. Maybe I manually unchecked them but I don't remember surely If I did or not. I didn't saw any tutorial regarding this. I installed wine in my previous Arch installation where multilib was enabled by default. I checked and just mulitib was enabled not the testing one. Don't know how it happened in this pc. I unchecked those line and its working now. Thank You guys. smile

Last edited by Tar3k Hasan (2021-04-01 15:41:36)

Offline

#10 2021-04-01 15:46:53

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 12,505

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

Great, please mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post. https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … ow-to-post

Offline

#11 2021-04-02 05:05:54

s01ja
Member
Registered: 2021-04-02
Posts: 1

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with Wine and expat installation.

Tar3k Hasan wrote:
V1del wrote:

That's impossible as it isn't and never has been enabled by default and neither is multilib itself. Unless you aren't actually using Arch and are using a third party script/tutorial. You can do either of these two, the resulting effect will be the same.

I don't know how it happened. I actually use Arch. Maybe I manually unchecked them but I don't remember surely If I did or not. I didn't saw any tutorial regarding this. I installed wine in my previous Arch installation where multilib was enabled by default. I checked and just mulitib was enabled not the testing one. Don't know how it happened in this pc. I unchecked those line and its working now. Thank You guys. smile

As a data point I had this same issue and disabling multilib-testing worked (thanks). Like Tar3k Hasan I use Arch and I'm confident I have not enabled multilib-testing myself by following a third-party tutorial. About third-party script I'm not so certain.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB