You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-08 01:00:31

SpacetimeBull

Help with accessing my system; moved to new disk. [SOLVED]

I recently moved my Arch installation from my SSD to my new M.2 nvme, I used gparted live to copy my arch from the SSD to the nvme and my timeshift backups to the SSD. When I tried to boot off the nvme and when the grub shows up it says "GRUB" with a blinking underscore (GRUB_). I guess it is something wrong with the grub boot loader, I tried chrooting in from the gparted live with "sudo chroot /mnt" and it says "cannot find /bin/bash" I do not use bash as my default, I use fish. I tried doing "sudo chroot /mnt /usr/local/fish" and it cannot find that. I do not know where the fish shell is located or how to chroot to it. The gparted live is Debian based so I cannot arch-chroot. I tried installing timeshift and it does not work because it needs libgee-0.8.3 and I cannot find a install for that.

How can I get chroot access into my machine(yes, I mounted my folders) to fix the GRUB issue?
Is there another way to fix the GRUB issue without chroot?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SpacetimeBull (2021-04-14 20:17:17)

#2 2021-04-08 01:26:58

zeroxoneafour

Re: Help with accessing my system; moved to new disk. [SOLVED]

This may sound like a stupid question, but does /bin/bash exist? Maybe try running ls /mnt/bin (as superuser, since you're in a live environment) to see if anything pops up. If bash does, then that's a odd error. If it doesn't or if you get an error because the directory doesn't exist, your system failed to copy the partition correctly or you mounted the wrong partition. If the case is the first because you are 101% sure you mounted your Arch partition, you need to get out an Arch ISO and fix it.

#3 2021-04-08 01:29:52

zeroxoneafour

Of course, this is assuming your Grub has an EFI partition and has been properly installed on the new drive. If you didn't put very special care into that, I'm honestly very surprised grub showed up at all.

#4 2021-04-14 19:18:04

SpacetimeBull

Resolved, you may close. I arch chroted from a arch ISO and repaired the GRUB BL,

Board footer