You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-12 07:56:09

scres

Looking for recommendations for my first PKGBUILD (boatbod-op25)

This is my first PKGBUILD and I'm looking to release it and put it up on AUR to replace aur/gr-op25-git  .

If anyone could point out my mistakes, I'd appreciate it.

I'm concerned about the sustainability of this PKGBUILD, it's based on a project that was originally designed for ubuntu, but at its core, is actually quite small (outside of the dependencies).

I have this PKGBUILD working but there are still problems, most notably, I can't figure out how to get the important scripts to install to /opt. These are the scripts in op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps, and I don't know the most user-friendly way to deal with that.

I'm also curious about what the best practices are for interacting with an upstream project are. Should my source be my own git fork, or should I source the upstream and use patches?

PKGBUILD link

#2 2021-04-12 11:43:40

Lone_Wolf

Re: Looking for recommendations for my first PKGBUILD (boatbod-op25)

Using make -j overrides user made settings in makepkg.conf or other local options.
PKGBUILDs should not do that, just use make without options .

The echo messages in package() should probably go in a .install file .

Also check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CM … guidelines

scres wrote:

I have this PKGBUILD working but there are still problems, most notably, I can't figure out how to get the important scripts to install to /opt. These are the scripts in op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps, and I don't know the most user-friendly way to deal with that.

Where do those scripts end up now and why do you feel they should be under /opt ?

scres wrote:

I'm also curious about what the best practices are for interacting with an upstream project are. Should my source be my own git fork, or should I source the upstream and use patches?

Depends on whether you want to become upstream or not.
boatbod op25 repo currently has 6 contributors, maybe they'd welcome you ?
For now I suggest to use boatbod rep as source and add patches in a prepare() section in PKGBUILD .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer