You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-12 17:49:24

7thSon

Best choice to build PKGBUILD from - deb, rpm, git etc?

I want to try my hand at writing and uploading a PKGBUILD and found a nice app that I would like to do it for.
`sleek` is a todo.txt gui app that doesn't have an AUR or official package as far as I've found (the maintainer uses flatpak and snap instead).

Looking at the github releases (https://github.com/ransome1/sleek/releases/tag/v0.9.9), there are several options uploaded there,
rpm, deb, AppImage and so on. Should I write a PKGBUILD from one of these, or do they count as binaries, in which case I should build the source in the git repo?
(I've asked the author for build instructions as they're not mentioned anywhere as of now.)

TLDR; Is any of the mentioned package formats okay/preferable to base a PKGBUILD on, or should I rather build from source in git?

Last edited by 7thSon (2021-04-12 17:50:20)

#2 2021-04-12 21:29:06

icar

Re: Best choice to build PKGBUILD from - deb, rpm, git etc?

There are usually packages from git ($pkgname-git), from AppImage ($pkgname-appimage, see Joplin, for example), from snaps ($pkgname-snap), etc.
You could create something like sleek for deb, sleek-appimage, sleek-git or the likes. It depends if you want it precompiled or built from source.

Last edited by icar (2021-04-12 21:30:10)

#3 2021-04-12 21:37:35

loqs

If you want to build from source see Electron_package_guidelines#Using_electron-builder_with_system_electron.

If you get stuck post the PKGBUILD you are using and the output from makepkg.

#4 2021-04-12 23:22:53

eschwartz
Fellow

7thSon wrote:

I want to try my hand at writing and uploading a PKGBUILD and found a nice app that I would like to do it for.
`sleek` is a todo.txt gui app that doesn't have an AUR or official package as far as I've found (the maintainer uses flatpak and snap instead).

Looking at the github releases (https://github.com/ransome1/sleek/releases/tag/v0.9.9), there are several options uploaded there,
rpm, deb, AppImage and so on. Should I write a PKGBUILD from one of these, or do they count as binaries, in which case I should build the source in the git repo?

Well, they are actually really for real binaries, so they do count as being what they are.

7thSon wrote:

(I've asked the author for build instructions as they're not mentioned anywhere as of now.)

The snap/ and flatpak/ directories each contain a .yml file used for building the respective appstore package, you can (with some effort) figure out from there how to just regularly build it.

As loqs mentioned you will want to tweak it to use the system electron anyway...

7thSon wrote:

TLDR; Is any of the mentioned package formats okay/preferable to base a PKGBUILD on, or should I rather build from source in git?

You can build from source using the release file "Source code (tar.gz)", no need for git.

Alternatively you may use the .deb or .rpm to create a sleek-bin package, since the packaging guidelines say to otherwise build from source.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer