You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-12 20:28:58

Padsworth

Disable USB port on live cd

I've got this old shitty Toshiba Satellite laptop that i figured I'd restore with some good ol' arch. Booted up in my ol' live usb and I've run into a problem that I've had with this laptop for a while now. All but one of the usb ports on this POS is busted busted, and one of them has been causing problems. Now i've been able to ignore this issue before cause I'd just start up X11 and say goodby to the error, but yea can't do that no more.

So bassically the terminal gets plagued by a re-occuring error. I can still type and stuff, but the error keeps printing over and over again. While I can technically just ignore it, it would be nice just to disable the usb port all together. Here's the error:

usb usb4-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
usb4-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

So yea its mega annoying. I tried running the command I found from This Thread of course adjusted as I figured I would need to.
Original Command:

echo suspend | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.2/power/level 

Version I ran:

echo suspend | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/power/level 

however in running that I get a wonderful error of:

tee: /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/power/level: Invalid Argument 

I also tried just going to the "level" file directly and using vim to edit it but it was having all types of problems as the error was just printing onto the file and when in command mode into the prompt...
I would also like to note that I made sure all the files I was trying did in fact exist.

Basically looking for any help here. Maybe I'm going to the wrong device? Here is the ls of the "devices" directory from before:

1-0:1.0  1-1  1-1.1  1-1.1:1.0  1-1.3  1-1.3:1.0  1-1.3:1-1 1.1:1.0  2-0:1.0 
2-1 2-1.3  2-1.3:1.0  3-0:1.0  4-0:1.0  usb1  usb2  usb3  usb4

I also tried running this after snooping around a bit:

echo suspend | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/4-0:1.0/usb4/power/level 

But I found that the level file didn't exist down there.

I've also tried attacking this at the bios level but the only option I could find would disable the usb3 to usb2 conversion and thats no good cause the only port left is a usb3...

Ok so important Edit here

I've decided to just ssh into the laptop from my arch desktop so that it's not printing the error onto my terminal. Installing from there, but this is just pushing the problem further down the line. I am more realistically going to need to disable perminantly...
Ima keep snooping around untill I figure this out. If anyone can help still that would be great.

Last edited by Padsworth (2021-04-13 01:37:40)

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

#2 2021-04-17 17:03:03

ua4000

Re: Disable USB port on live cd

So your main issue is "printing the error onto my terminal" ?

- tried the 2nd Terminal ? --> CTRL+ALT+F2 ?
- silence the kernel log ? --> kernel parameters: loglevel

Board footer