You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-14 20:38:07

Erotaku

[solved]Random and unrelated problems started happening out of nowhere

I am a bit speechless as to what's going on with my system exactly. I will try list the events and problems that took places in a chronological order.

I was advised to switch the git version of LLVM for better shader cache from the AUR. So, I uninstalled LLVM and left my PC to install the git version. Upon coming back, it seemed like something crashed and the installation had process failed. No matter, I will restart and just try again, right? No, that's when things started going down.

After the system had restarted, I did a trizen -Syu beforehand to make sure everything is up to date at first. While it was updating a normal icon AUR package, the internet connection stopped, despite it working on all my other devices. I restarted the system a second time and went back to finishing the -Syu update.

Now my AUR package is giving me a ton of errors "No space left on device /tmp/".... But how? Now my zsh prompt theme is launching with a full tmp folder error, and I also can not install any new packages. Okay, again no matter. I simply did a sudo rm -rf /tmp/*.

This time I decided to stay from retrying installing the icon AUR package, and just go back to the LLVM-git package. I do that, and my internet connection stops again. I restart and try again... But the internet also stops again. Now I am thinking to myself that the package is cursed and I should leave that for some time. I restart and come back to google the few issues at hand. But the internet randomly stops working again... I gave up and I am posting this topic from my windows system.

Just what the hell is going on?

Last edited by Erotaku (2021-04-15 14:52:13)

#2 2021-04-14 21:30:23

seth

Re: [solved]Random and unrelated problems started happening out of nowhere

llvm or llvm-libs (the latter which a shit-ton of stuff depends on)?
Since llvm-git depends on llvm-libs-git, you're likely going to run into trouble because shit-ton-of-stuff™ was compiled against v11, not v13…

#3 2021-04-14 22:14:19

Erotaku

seth wrote:

llvm or llvm-libs (the latter which a shit-ton of stuff depends on)?
Since llvm-git depends on llvm-libs-git, you're likely going to run into trouble because shit-ton-of-stuff™ was compiled against v11, not v13…

LLVM Is the only one I uninstalled. I didn't touch anything else.

I forgot to say that I also gave up on the whole llvm-git and installed llvm back.

#4 2021-04-14 23:25:22

Erotaku

Update: random internet disconnects just stopped happening. I have been using the system for over an hour and it seems like that is back to normal. I also don't want to try and trigger it by installing llvm-git branch. Because that was apparently a thing. Even though I shouldn't give up on trying this out, but I have to.

I think now the full tmp folder problem is the one that I would appreciate some advice on. There is nothing special about the output, but I have made a pastebin in case you guys want to see it: https://pastebin.com/keXzBPhv
Running the df command also shows that the tmp folder is not even full too.

Last edited by Erotaku (2021-04-14 23:28:04)

#5 2021-04-15 06:57:42

seth

Trizen seems to clone and build everything in /tmp - of course this can run out of space *fast* if you compile a lot of packages there.
=> configure it to use other paths.

This is why there're several red boxes on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers

#6 2021-04-15 12:18:13

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Building llvm-git requires lots of memory and time, unless you have 64+ GiB memory I wouldn't even try building it in /tmp .

Also llvm uses cmake/ninja to build and ninja can be very greedy .
Did you set a value for $NINJAFLAGS to avoid that ?

Sidenote

seth wrote:

That's one of the reasons I created llvm-minimal-git which coexists with repo llvm-libs .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-04-15 12:18:39)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2021-04-15 14:51:45

Erotaku

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Building llvm-git requires lots of memory and time, unless you have 64+ GiB memory I wouldn't even try building it in /tmp .

Also llvm uses cmake/ninja to build and ninja can be very greedy .
Did you set a value for $NINJAFLAGS to avoid that ?

Sidenote

seth wrote:

That's one of the reasons I created llvm-minimal-git which coexists with repo llvm-libs .

I did not set any values, no. If I am understanding this correctly, then I want the compiling to use as much horsepower as possible anyway. Which is why I edited the makepkg.conf to use all my threads.
Thank you for the clarification the memory part as well. It helped me understand this topic more, and uninstall trizen.

I will keep in mind the llvm-minimal package. But I am staying from touching llvm as a whole for now until I figure out if I really need to even go through with this or not.

seth wrote:

Trizen seems to clone and build everything in /tmp - of course this can run out of space *fast* if you compile a lot of packages there.
=> configure it to use other paths.

This is why there're several red boxes on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers

Dear god, that changes everything. I have just removed trizen and installed paru. It does not seem to build anything in /tmp/. And yea, this fixed it all for me!

I didn't even know that /tmp is correlated to the memory. Now I am able to tell from the terminal output that trizen does that, but paru does not. I can't thank you enough for that. With each problem I face and get corrected on this forum, I learn something new that changes the way I use the Linux system for the better.

As for the LLVM-git package, we can pick that up on other topic. Marking this as solved.

#8 2021-04-15 14:54:27

seth

Themanyredboxestellyoutofirstlearnhowtousetheaurandthenmaybeorrathernotoptforanaurhelper…

#9 2021-04-15 15:33:21

Erotaku

seth wrote:

Themanyredboxestellyoutofirstlearnhowtousetheaurandthenmaybeorrathernotoptforanaurhelper…

Hahah gotcha! I will get to learning the process as soon as I get the time today.

#10 2021-04-16 10:24:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

then I want the compiling to use as much horsepower as possible anyway.

By default ninja starts jobs for number of available cores +2 .
On my threadripper 1920x that means ninja starts 26 jobs.

This results in making my desktop respond slower then my 14 year old laptop .

Limiting ninja to 20 jobs instead of 26 leaves more then enough horsepower for other tasks and increases buildtime for llvm-git by just 2 minutes on a total time around 30 minutes.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-04-16 10:25:14)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer