You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-15 12:51:52

SigmaR

[SOLVED] Logging into tty, get kicked out immediately

A day or two ago, I wanted to try out the fish shell, so I downloaded it, switched it with

chsh -l
 chsh -s /bin/fish 

or

chsh -s /usr/bin/fish 

It went something along the lines of that. I ended up not liking it, so switched back to my only other listed shell.

chsh -s /usr/bin/git-shell 

No idea if that is what SHOULD be there or not, but I believe that was the only one. (Might have possibly had one other, but I believe this will no longer be relevant later anyway.)
My system was working fine until I was downloading something, and did:

sudo pacman -Syu 

Even though I already updated two days ago. I rebooted. I run my system by logging into a tty, and starting with xinit, but I couldn't even get past the login screen. When I log in as my user, the screen flashes with the same login screen, and then I'm back at the screen before I put in my login information. I can still login as root, and I can even enable GDM, and login as a user from that. But I don't use a display manager for a reason, so its not only not preferable, it also means I can't use xinit, and consequentially my window manager, compositor, hotkey daemon, etc.
But after this issue I ended up reinstalling bash and fish as root user, and also installing zsh for good measure. Now I have:

chsh -l
 /bin/sh
 /bin/bash
 /usr/bin/git-shell
 /usr/bin/fish
 /bin/fish
 /bin/zsh
 /usr/bin/zsh

I don't believe any of the shells work either. I do have GNOME and KDE on here, so I can technically use my computer. Just not any terminal emulator. Termite and Alacritty both crash as soon as they open, so those aren't going to work. I can use the root user however, that seems to work fine. Except that is a workaround I think most people are not going to work with.
Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by SigmaR (2021-04-15 14:37:43)

#2 2021-04-15 13:39:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Logging into tty, get kicked out immediately

I'd not expect git-shell to work (if not specifically configured, it will exit immediately with a fatal error).  How did you ever unsinstall bash?  It's a hard dependencie of countless packages in arch including systemd and pacman.  In any case, the solution is to enable an *actual* shell like bash/zsh.

SigmaR wrote:

I don't believe any of the shells work either.

Why do you "believe" that?  Did you test them?  How?

Last edited by Trilby (2021-04-15 13:41:19)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2021-04-15 14:37:23

SigmaR

Re: [SOLVED] Logging into tty, get kicked out immediately

Trilby wrote:

In any case, the solution is to enable an *actual* shell like bash/zsh.

Turns out I was changing my shell for the ROOT user the whole time, not MY user.

fixed it with

chsh -s /bin/bash user 

rather than

chsh -s /bin/bash 

the former works in chroot and root user.

Board footer