You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-31 17:12:05

sven

wine apps taking ages to load, don't work right [SOLVED]

I am having this slow loading problem after updating the wine package. Some programs even stopped working like they should.

- A good example is one essential program I would like to continue to use - Proxomitron ad blocker. It takes over 5 minutes to get the main window visible. When it finally comes up, it doesn't seem to be running on port 8080 like it should.

- I have to wait like 10 minutes after typing winecfg, to get that config program coming up.

So what's up with wine - anyone else also has these problems?

#2 2006-10-31 18:20:09

twiistedkaos

Re: wine apps taking ages to load, don't work right [SOLVED]

sven wrote:

I am having this slow loading problem after updating the wine package. Some programs even stopped working like they should.

- A good example is one essential program I would like to continue to use - Proxomitron ad blocker. It takes over 5 minutes to get the main window visible. When it finally comes up, it doesn't seem to be running on port 8080 like it should.

- I have to wait like 10 minutes after typing winecfg, to get that config program coming up.

So what's up with wine - anyone else also has these problems?

Nope, no issues with winecfg or any other program taking along time to open.

#3 2006-11-01 12:39:42

skottish
Forum Fellow

I while back I was having problems like this after a video driver upgrade (NVidia) upgrade broke OpenGL. If you're using 3D drivers, can you still run glxinfo or glxgears from the command line?

#4 2006-11-01 13:15:17

Bralkein

When I have had problems with Wine after upgrades, the solution for me was to delete the ~/.wine directory, then let Wine regenerate it for me. Yes, this means I had to reinstall my programs again, but it did make things better than ever before.

If there are things that you don't want to reinstall, you could always try just copying the directories across. If you are lucky, it might work. Back up your old configuration so that you can always restore it if the worst comes to the worst.

#5 2006-11-01 21:32:47

sven

thanks for replies, glxgears starts just fine

Bralkein, your advice worked smile Deleting .wine was the solution!

Board footer