You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-27 17:37:28

TheDcoder
Website

Multi-user audio sharing with PipeWire

Hi,

Is it possible for multiple users to share the same audio daemon when using PipeWire? You could use Unix sockets in PulseAudio to achieve this but I haven't found anything similar for PipeWire yet.

This is useful for doing things like using a separate user for Wine applications but using the same X session + audio daemon for a seamless experience.

Thank you for the help in advance!

#2 2021-04-29 16:12:39

TheDcoder
Website

Re: Multi-user audio sharing with PipeWire

I asked around in the #pipewire IRC channel and found out that PipeWire has support for a system-wide instance, but it needs to be enabled at build time:

17:56:04 <saivert> For system level pipewire instance the idea is that distros provide a separate package for this configuration
17:57:27 <saivert> If you build pipewire from source you need to enable the installation of the system level systemd unit files. meson setup -Dsystemd-system-service=enabled
17:58:19 <saivert> It is just a low priority use case. Most run it as their own user account on a graphical desktop
18:00:10 <TheDcoder[m]> Unfortunately it looks like the (Arch) package doesn't include system level units
18:19:41 <saivert> TheDcoder[m]: you could ask for this on the Arch bug tracker though. Even the main package could just provide the units, it is not like they have to be enabled by default.

I guess one could make an AUR package with this, but I don't see any harm in including them in the official package as they are not enabled by default.

Still, has anyone tried this system level instance of PipeWire? I visited the Access Control page on PipeWire wiki but barely understood any of it. Someone should cover this in the Arch wiki so that we can configure who gets to access the audio if running a system-level instance.

#3 2021-05-06 14:55:17

askz

You can add the flag by installing pipewire-git and by editing PKGBUILD before install.

#4 2021-05-06 14:57:55

TheDcoder
Website

Yes, I am aware of that as mentioned in my previous post, I have not tried it yet but it would be nice if someone with experience can comment and clarify things about Access Control and setup.

Board footer