You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-02 07:30:28

vilefridge

Raid Encryption LVM - Questions

Raid Encryption LVM
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAI … hy_LUKS.3F

Regarding the above article, I have a few questions.  I've moved from Mandrake --> Ubuntu Hoary --> Xubuntu Dapper.  I would really like to switch to ArchLinux.  I still consider myself a Linux beginner, so please take this into consideration in your responses, thank you smile

1) Can I accomplish this using the x86_64 version of ArchLinux following the same how-to?

2) I have two 80GB SATA drives.  Do I have to configure them in BIOS as RAID1 mirroring before performing the steps mentioned in the how-to?  I didn't see any mention of this...

3)

Arch 0.7.x doesn't provide mkinitcpio, which we need for a LUKS encrypted root. Solution: do an FTP install. If you have a local network, you can [Custom_local_repository_with_ABS_and_gensync create a local repository] on one of your other computers and serve it out over FTP or something (in case the computer you're installing on doesn't have internet access, or you'll be installing on several computers).

As an additional hurdle to jump, Arch 0.7.2 doesn't have libnsl installed, which is required for cryptsetup. Solution: use the Arch 0.7.1 FTP install CD. Alternatively, you can use the method given in the [Encrypted_Root_Filesystem] HOWTO to install it once you've booted onto the CD. This won't work with the 0.7.2 FTP install CD: if you are using this CD, you need to grab the package glibc-2.3.6-3.pkg.tar.gz from somewhere like ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.arch … .2/os/i686 (check out the "Get It!" page) and store libnsl* somewhere you can access during installation, like another partition.

Finally, if you're using the Arch 0.7.1 CD and want to use LVM, you need to mount sysfs, or lvm won't work as expected. If you forget to do this, instead of giving you an intelligent error message, lvm will simply Segmentation fault at various inconvenient times. Do this when you boot the installation CD:

I find the above section to be confusing.  Can I follow the instructions on the below page, to a certain extent, and then jump back to the Raid Encryption LVM how-to?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_Install_page

#2 2006-11-02 08:26:29

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Raid Encryption LVM - Questions

3. To install Arch you might want to try some newer  ISOs:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25236

It seems that they use mkinitcpio and have miscellaneous improvements.

EDIT: these newer ISOs are for i686, AFAIK.

#3 2006-11-05 00:54:41

vilefridge

Thanks for the response.  It is much appreciated smile  I am however looking for a x86_64 solution.  Does anyone else have any insight?

#4 2006-11-10 16:36:10

kozaki
Website

vilefridge this might help you :

AndyRTR wrote:

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:07 am
Here we go again: http://archlinux.org/~andyrtr/newisos/

The new ISOs contain all updates until today. Kernel is 2.6.18.2 that brings important new drivers and solves some bugs. It allows me now to install on my new Core2Duo notebook.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, IMHO those ISO basically are x86_64 equivalent of tpowa's i686
Torrent's available

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#5 2006-11-12 02:01:45

vilefridge

Thanks for the response!

Board footer