You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-29 09:10:45

j-james
Website

Using alternative notification daemons with Gnome-Shell

Hello everybody,

I recently switched to GNOME from a more modular desktop system, and was wondering if it's possible to replace Gnome-Shell's integrated (and non-customizable) notification system with Dunst. I've looked around online and couldn't find anything suggesting that it is or that it isn't, so I figured this would be a good place to ask.

So far, I've tried running Dunst (which fails because it can't acquire the freedesktop Notification service), symlinking Dunst's service to `~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service`, and symlinking Dunst's service to `/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Shell.Notifications.service`. Nothing has had any effect, and all notifications still go through Gnome-Shell's system.

Is it possible to use a different notification daemon? It seems like grabbing `org.freedesktop.Notifications` before the `gnome-shell` process launches would work (or make Gnome-Shell crash and burn), but I can't figure out how to do so. The "standard" way of switching notification daemons - by _just running it_, or killing other notification daemons and running it - doesn't seem to work with the monolith that is Gnome-Shell.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by j-james (2023-06-07 05:09:38)

#2 2023-06-07 05:10:06

j-james
Website

Re: Using alternative notification daemons with Gnome-Shell

Board footer