You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-02 20:40:33

glenjo

Screen Blanking Weirdness

So I've been using ArchLinux for about a year now, and I'm very happy, a great distro! Nice job!

I have been experiencing a strange screen blanking issue for about the last two months where the screen blanks to black for about two to five seconds and then returns.  The blanking occurrences goes up as I use the keyboard or mouse, and seems to be higher if I am watching a video.  I have looked in the system journals and the Xorg log and have not found any error messages which has made this difficult to figure out.

System information:

-Computer-
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Memory: 32847MB
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus WiFi
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2

I'm running Xfce4, and LightDM.

I have played around quite a bit with xset to see if these setting are part of the problem. I've rolled back BIOS upgrades to the motherboard to see if that was part of it.  I have not tried nouveau out yet (but I probably will at some point). I have investigated the AMD USB disconnect problem since this started occurring about the same time I was reading about it on line.  I suspect that it is something happening in the nvidia blob, but would like to hear if anybody else has experience similar issues.

#2 2021-05-06 00:04:15

nd925a

Re: Screen Blanking Weirdness

Did you install the amd-ucode?

I used to have some random crashing issues on my ryzen box that it fixed

#3 2021-05-08 17:40:20

glenjo

Yes, I have amd-ucode installed, and I have been regularly updating the BIOS.  This blanking behavior did not start until about January, about the same time AMD started releasing updates to handle the whole Ryzen/X570 USB disconnect issue.  I have not now (or ever) experienced USB disconnects that I am aware of, certainly nothing like what is demonstrated on some YT videos.

#4 2021-05-15 17:17:16

glenjo

Well, a quick update on a solved problem.

So I have to admit that I have been using Linux for a while now, since 1996.  And I've been using the same home directory for a LONG time, I have some files with dates from 2008.

I just needed to clean out some cruft, and all is well.

Last edited by glenjo (2021-05-15 17:17:54)

Board footer