You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-02 20:51:02

Padsworth

[SOLVED] Can't mount /dev/sdax because of buggard superblock

I got an old laptop with a busted battery. This battery kinda gives out sometimes - as it did in this case - and now I can't get into my home directory.

As title says can't mount /dev/sda4 when booting in a live-usb. I am getting the following error:

mount: /mnt: can't read superblock of dev/sda4 

I knew there was some kind of problem because I couldn't get far past grub on during the boot, and considering my /home is in its own partition I figured that it wasn't the problem. I was going to backup the files on the home partition that missed last night's backup and then reinstall on the root partition. Last but not least I wanted by pakbak directory so I could reinstall all my pacman stuff. Was gonna be clean and simple but yea, never that way is it?

I did some digging, and I ran the following commands already:

# mke2fs -n /dev/sda4 

and used that output to run:

# fsck -b 32768 /dev/sda4 

however after reading the journal logs or whatever, it asked me to forice rewrite, I said yes of course... and nothing. just leaves me for hours today, can't give any new commands or nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?
I use ext4 with gpt. Up to date arch, march's ISO for the flash-drive live-cd.
I can sorta Arch-Chroot in the root partition, I recovered a txt file of my pacman stuff. It's just that home partition... the one I care about. There are only a few files that missed the back-up, but it's finals week for me and I kinda need that stuff. Any help much appreciated.

[SOLVED] look in comments

Last edited by Padsworth (2021-05-02 21:32:45)

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

#2 2021-05-02 21:29:59

Padsworth

Re: [SOLVED] Can't mount /dev/sdax because of buggard superblock

[SOLVED]

I got it to somehow work by just using another block sector. Thank you trial and error. Hopefull some google search down the line someone finds this and it helps them.

Last edited by Padsworth (2021-05-02 21:31:54)

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

Board footer