You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-08 19:04:20

nikinbaidarr

[SOLVED] Plymouth works but does not display the arch logo

I am trying to achieve a silent boot in conjunction with a plymouth theme that displays the Arch Linux logo on boot.

As guided on the Arch wiki for "Silent Boot" and "Plymouth", I have :-

1. Installed plymouth from the AUR with yay (the default one)

2. Set my kernel parameters as such :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 splash rd.udev.log_level=3 rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0"

3. And the MODULES and the HOOKS in the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file are set as :

MODULES=(i915)
HOOKS = [base systemd plymouth ... fsck]

4. Set the plymouth theme with

plymouth-set-default-theme -R spinfinity

Everything seems to work just fine, there aren't any messages on the boot screen. Plymouth theme also seems to load; I've set the spinfinity theme which works except the Arch logo is not displayed whatsoever. Also tried other plymouth themes; they work too but the arch logo isn't displayed.

Last edited by nikinbaidarr (2021-05-09 07:34:39)

#2 2021-05-08 19:06:52

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Plymouth works but does not display the arch logo

Why are you expecting an Arch logo?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-05-08 19:13:40

nikinbaidarr

Slithery wrote:

Why are you expecting an Arch logo?

Am I not supposed to?
Logo as in a background.

#4 2021-05-08 19:47:33

mvoggu

nikinbaidarr wrote:

Installed plymouth from the AUR with yay (the default one)

plymouth-git or plymouth package?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/plymouth#Installation recommends plymouth-git over the stable plymouth package, so I suggest to try with plymouth-git if not already using

#5 2021-05-08 22:00:02

mvoggu

Please ignore my comment on using plymouth-git over plymouth. It does not seem to be relevant for this issue.

I installed plymouth-git and tried out the theme mentioned (spinfinity). Arch logo appeared neither during boot nor during shutdown in the plymouth splash screen.

As per https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/plymou … ound_image, background image can be set by placing desired image under /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity and regenerating the theme

In case of spinfinity, the directory has a broken symlink to a png file that exists only on RedHat/Fedora & derivatives. For Arch, we instead have archlinux-logo.png and archlinux.png available under /usr/share/pixmaps/

ls -l /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 9 01:13 header-image.png -> /usr/share/pixmaps/system-logo-white.png
ls /usr/share/pixmaps/
archlinux-logo.png archlinux-logo.svg archlinux.png archlinux.svg

I tried overwriting the symlink to make it point to  /usr/share/pixmaps/archlinux-logo.png. But it only worked partially. The logo showed up in plymouth splash during shutdown but not during boot

sudo ln -sf /usr/share/pixmaps/archlinux-logo.png header-image.png

It finally worked when I completely removed the symlink, replaced it with the desired file itself and regenerated the theme

sudo rm /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity/header-image.png
sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/archlinux-logo.png /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity/header-image.png
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R spinfinity

If you make the above changes, consider making a new theme with these changes, as the spinfinity directory will be overwritten by updates to plymouth package

#6 2021-05-09 07:32:11

nikinbaidarr

mvoggu wrote:

It finally worked when I completely removed the symlink, replaced it with the desired file itself and regenerated the theme

sudo rm /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity/header-image.png
sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/archlinux-logo.png /usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinfinity/header-image.png
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R spinfinity

Thanks so much for taking your time and looking into this.

The last bit where you removed the symlink and replaced it with the file did the trick. Can't thank you enough mate.

Last edited by nikinbaidarr (2021-05-09 07:37:26)

Board footer